BAIN says Gers want to keep Bougherra and Wilson

More...

DAVIE WEIR will lead Rangers in the bid for three in a row next season after agreeing to a new one-year contract at Ibrox today.

The hugely influential captain has reached an agreement with the club to play for another campaign and that's fantastic news for Walter Smith and his backroom staff.

Chief Executive Martin Bain brokered the deal which means Weir will head into his fourth season as a Rangers player despite turning 40 in May.

It was always anticipated that Weir would remain for one more season, especially after Smith agreed to do the same last month.

The news of Weir's decision will please Rangers fans hungry for transfer information and there was more good news today when Martin Bain tried to put a lid on speculation over Madjid Bougherra and Danny Wilson by insisting that there are no plans to sell either player.

Bougherra has been linked with moves all over Europe this summer while Liverpool made an official inquiry about Wilson last season.

However, Rangers want both players to remain with the club for the 2010/11 campaign which will mean tremendous strength in the centre back area.

The Chief Executive said today: "I'm delighted to announce that Davie Weir will be with us again next season.

"We were always hopeful that he would agree to play in the 2010/11 campaign and we have now concluded a deal to that effect.

"It's great news for everyone because there is no doubting his importance to the team and his influence on those around him.

"Davie's professionalism and leadership qualities make him a superb role model and there is little doubt that he has become a great Rangers captain.

"It's remarkable to think that Walter signed him initially in January 2007 as a stop-gap measure to steady the defence.

"Now here we are three and half years, six trophies and a European final later and Davie is still as important as ever.Madjid Bougherra

"He did not miss a minute of our Championship campaign last season which is testimony to the terrific condition he keeps himself in."

Weir's decision to stay on follows Kirk Broadfoot's move to sign a new three-year contract last week.

And chief executive Martin Bain insisted today that he also wants to keep hold of Bougherra and Wilson despite constant media rumours that they are leaving.

He said: "The fans are probably fed up reading about speculation over Madjid Bougherra but I can categorically state that it is not our intention to sell him.

"He still has two years left of his contract with us and we certainly hope he is with us for the start of the new season.

"Danny Wilson is also under contract for another season and although he has turned down a new contract with us, he remains our player.

"We want to have as strong a squad as possible for the new campaign and having both of these players will undoubtedly give us good strength at the back.

"I said at the end of May that we do have a budget for the recruitment of new players - and clearly we need to bring new players in given that we have lost a number of our first team squad.

"Walter and his backroom team are now charged with finding the right players and we are confident that they will do that."

Weir, who was voted Football Writers' Player of the Year last season, will be back at Murray Park this weekend when the Rangers players return for the beginning of pre-season training.

Edited by Frankie

Good news for continuity reasons but despite Weir's superb contribution in recent seasons I'm hoping we'll have a different partnership next season.

Bougherra and Wilson are still likely to leave IMO.

Was always happening and a good move.

Although I would say this is the seaosn he has to be a bit part player and probably kept for important games. Im sure he can sit out games against St Mirren at home.

Personally I hope we retain Bougherra and Id have Webster or Weir alongside Bougherra.

As for Wilson, with Benitez gone it leaves him in a tricky situation. The young man still hasnt played alongside anyone who hasnt mentored him. Weir possibly carried him through games and had a eye on him the full time.

Guest Flying Hippo

We now have 4 centre halves (5 if you count Broadfoot) who would be first choice for every other SPL club including Celtic

Yet we have no right wingers, no left wingers, only one left back. The lopsided squad has to be strengthened asap

We now have 4 centre halves (5 if you count Broadfoot) who would be first choice for every other SPL club including Celtic

6 if you include Papac who was originally a centre half. :)

7 if you include McCulloch :thup:

Guest Flying Hippo

At least with so many, we may never play McCulloch at centre half ever again ;)

Was very disheartening to see him back at CB at the end of the last season. I hoped that charade had ended with the Unirea fiasco

Assuming all our centre halves do stay, i'd like Bougherra and Webster to start the season as first choice. But i'd imagine Weir has some kind of clause in his contract that says he has to play every game if he's fit (considering he was NEVER rested last season and Wilson was ALWAYS dropped)

Edited by Flying Hippo

Yet we have no right wingers, no left wingers, only one left back. The lopsided squad has to be strengthened asap

I think Bougherra and Wilson will leave so that should allow for more balance with a bit of luck.

I'd be genuinely gutted if Weir is first choice CB next season. He's given us great service, I'm not denying that, but if we still have both Bougherra and Wilson, they surely have to be first choice pairing.

And if we don't, we surely have to sign someone new.

It would, imho, show absolutely no ambition to continue with Weir at CB. And we'll get raped in the CL.