FORMER Gers skipper wants to concentrate on Birmingham and family

More...

FORMER Rangers captain Barry Ferguson will not be returning to the Scotland set-up - despite Craig Levein's attempts to persuade him otherwise.

Levein wanted Fergie to be at the hub of the qualifying campaign for Euro 2012 even although he was banned by the SFA in April 2009 for breaching discipline at Cameron House Hotel.

The national coach spoke with the Birmingham City midfielder last night and the 32-year-old expressed his wish to concentrate solely on club football.

"I am naturally disappointed not to call on Barry's abilities and experience for the Euro 2012 qualification campaign, but I understand his reasons," said Levein.

"The arrangement was that Barry would have the summer to decide. Birmingham returned to pre-season training yesterday and when we spoke last night, he said that both family commitments and his commitment to Birmingham City were the priorities in his life at the moment.

"I wish him the best of luck and we now move on with our preparations for the qualification campaign, starting with the friendly against Sweden next month."

Ferguson won 45 caps for Scotland, 35 of them with Rangers in two spells.

The Scots face the Swedes on August 11 just three days ahead of the start of the SPL campaign. As many as half a dozen Rangers players could be selected for the friendly

Edited by Frankie

I thought he was a cert to return to the Scottish squad.

Scotland will miss him but the moronic section of the TA fans would've refused to see what he brought to the Scottish squad and boo'd him with every touch of the ball.

Scotlands loss.

He is damned if he does and damned if he doesnt.

Those same TA members who would have booed him if he returned will now blame him if we dont qualify.

Good for him for looking after his family and club first. Quite right.

Guest Flying Hippo

Aberdeen fans on Footymad are taking the news well

"odious little hun bastard"

"inbred goat shagging rat"

"i genuinely hope something bad happens in his personal life"

"he should be stripped of his nationality"

Aberdeen fans on Footymad are taking the news well

"odious little hun bastard"

"inbred goat shagging rat"

"i genuinely hope something bad happens in his personal life"

"he should be stripped of his nationality"

A few reasons why I hate Aberdeen fans more than Celtic fans. Their hatred of everything south of Stonehaven is disgusting!