Most teams in the world cup have played 4-3-3 , which adapts to 4-5-1 when they lose the ball and are defending , which is great when you have technically proficient players to play that way , the majority of our young players are brought up on 4-4-2 , so you cannot be too hard on them .

Spain has 750 class A coaches ( that's the top coaches) and 640 of those teach kids starting at 5 , their class c coaches teach adults who are technically proficient by that stage .

By comparison England has less than 250 Class A coaches and they all teach adults , the class C coaches teach the kids , I dont have figures for Scotland but my guess would be that we follow the English model , is it any surpirise we are rubbish .

4-4-2 can still work if it is applied correctly. As Alan McInally said the other say its garbage that 4-4-2 seems to not work anymore, its simply down to the players you pick and the tactics. He was arguing back against the other pundits who say it didnt work and he was spot on, all England needed to do was play Carrick with Lampard in the middle, J Cole on the left and Milner or Lennon on the right. Gerrard would go upfront with Rooney almost like 4-4-1-1.

Had we kept Novo then 4-4-2 would have been ok for us although Im still against Davis being on the right. But It would have been a midfield 4 of:

Davis______Edu______Thomson______Novo.

But now we have zero width. I want to see Lafferty upfront, and as for Naismith he really has to convince me.

germany played a 4-4-2 all competition and didn't do too badly , at the end of the day it's all about the players ability to adapt to any specific moment / situation . And in Scotland players like those are few and far between

germany played a 4-4-2 all competition and didn't do too badly , at the end of the day it's all about the players ability to adapt to any specific moment / situation . And in Scotland players like those are few and far between

Germany played a 4-2-3-1.

Guest Flying Hippo

I've always advocated us playing 4-2-3-1 but i do think British players tend to be too, for want of a better word, stupid to adapt to a 'strange' formation

Le Guen tried 4-2-3-1 with varying success before returning to 4-4-2

Germany played a 4-2-3-1.

When they defend they defend in a 4-4-2 , when they attack they can and did do so in various formations depending on how it opened in front of them , again they are very very tactically astute , however even they come unstuck when faced with a free flowing team like the Spanish