Pre-season training has started then and season 2010/2011 is now upon us. Are we really ten years on from the luxuries of the Advocaat era? A new decade it is then and comparisons with the money spent at the start of the last one certainly can't be made. No de Boer, Konterman, Ricksen, Lovenkrands, Christiansen, Miller or Flo arriving this summer as they did in 2000. Nope, no �£30million war-chests for Walter!

Our financial cloth is cut differently now and the SPL is no longer a place for �£4million+ signings of rising continental stars or established Premiership talent. Instead, Ibrox in particular, seems to be concentrating on home-grown potential with a wage ceiling of an amount that doesn't appear to let us compete with our closest rivals across the city.

Indeed, with Celtic being linked with a decent calibre of player (only the most optimistic of bears would argue Campbell, Ledley and Bullard wouldn't improve their squad) and Rangers being linked with, well, no-one of any real note; some negativity and panic is starting to set in across the community. When one adds the almost daily quotes coming direct from the club (not even from guessing journalists) that we are prepared to listen to offers for what seems any player, it is easy to get sucked into this whirlpool of trepidation.

But let's look at the facts before we slit our wrists and write off our chances of a 54th title.

I think it is pretty obvious our activity in term of players coming in is going to be minimal but as long as we don't lose any more players then we should still be competitive enough as new players will arrive eventually. Of course, if any key players do go such as Bougherra, McGregor or Thomson then that would be worrying but I'd still like to think we'd use part/most of any such income to bring in further replacements. Obviously Lloyds the wolf will want his share but reducing debt should be just as important an aim as anything else this decade. It would also be good to 'bank' some money for the rainy days ahead.

Does this mean a Jos�© Gon�§alves is an able replacement for a Madjid Bougherra? Of course not but just how many Boumsong's, Cuellar's and Bougherra's can we expect to find year on year? In saying that, if our manager has one virtue it is that, as a former defender himself, he can spot a good centre-half and the former Portuguese under-21 international does have some untapped potential in the same way Bougherra had. On a Bosman he also fits our financial limitations while leaving any real money for much-needed creative players.

Fortunately, sound-bites coming from Murray Park suggest the manager is more than aware where we need depth and improvement. Midfield and wide areas appear to be his priority and, despite the claims of fiscal paucity, I'm pretty certain we'll have our targets - affordable and interesting ones at that. After all, whose to say, we're not letting Celtic blink first so we know our opposition before we make our own purchases? I'd like to see new players brought in early to allow them to settle but if we save money by having to wait, then we may just have to be patient.

I think it is pretty obvious I'm trying to be positive here but I'm also not daft. Recent times tell us our transfer activity inwards will be minimal while players will leave to accommodate the bank's interest. Nowadays that is a given. However, it is important to remember our financial situation is improving and we do still have a (albeit refined) squad capable of being competitive in the SPL. Furthermore, Walter Smith would not have signed a new contract just to be handcuffed again.

It is easy to panic with the positive press speculation Celtic are getting (what's new there?) but as it stands they have only brought in a couple of average full-backs while they have lost five of their first choice players who played in the last Old Firm game and are looking to sell more. Have they really improved their squad? What are we afraid of in their team? Is Neil Lennon's undoubted love of their club and competitive nature enough to compensate for his undoubted managerial inexperience and mental fragility?

Above all, the last ten years should have taught us Rangers fans to be resilient when it comes to off-the-field speculation. We're the champions here and we still have the best team. So, let's have a bit of balance and avoid getting caught up in a melancholy that has no merit as it stands. After all, even the financial excesses of ten years ago didn't guarantee league titles.

Keep calm and carry on.

:robbo:

Very good post Frankie and to be honest it is just what I needed after reading the back pages this morning , no preseason seems to go by without our ambitions being deluted before we kick a ball , and as you say we cannot continue to pluck "average" players ( admittedly center halves ) and turning them into super players to be sold at a profit.

Likewise the continual reinforcements at Porkheid is depressing , though I would argue that they aren't as great as being made out and whilst they are in a position to offer deals to players , giving Campbell a 2 year deal on �£35,000 basic , Ledley a deal taking him from his current wage of �£3000 to anywhere between �£25-28000 doesn't seem to be the most efficient use of money but hey let them batter at it . They are still hawking wee Aids around but getting no takers , same for Borat and Hinkel , only the big DOO McManus looking likely.

However my biggest worry is what happens if this status quo continues and the state we will be in this time next year , I have been prattling on about this all year , there is no long term planning and the thought of going through yet another season of takeover talk , with all the associated bullshit , leaves me decidedly depressed .Murray should be hanging his head in shame , however as per usual he will just bussshit he masses and everything will be ok .

How close to the 14 senior players we were warned about, will we actually be is anyone's guess .

What we cannot do is just buy for buyings sake , even if it's only one or two players , and I dont see the likes of jordan MacMillan or even Andy little making any serious impact next year , god it's going to be another long season

One last thought that I am clinging on to is that wage demands that players make at this stage of the transfer window are usually a damn sight higher than what they want with a week of the window to go , but maybe that's me just being optomistic

Agree with all of that mate. Like I say, I'm not suggesting for a minute we don't be concerned - just that we temper it.

I must admit, I had published the article before I read the stuff about us being unable to offer players contracts.

That is an unacceptable situation to be in and I'm hugely annoyed that this news has only made its way into the pubic domain now. I find it astounding that we can't offer someone like Thomson a new contract. The others listed are arguably less important to our long term future but even Webster, Papac and Miller being able to move on for free next summer is bad business strategy.

I'm not being naive but I do feel we need to try and find some positivity as a support ahead of what is going to be another tough year. Like you though, I'm fed up of being treated like a mug and once again, I look to our representative fan groups to ask the valid questions we all have and be much stronger in terms of leading from the front and uniting us so that we are not ignored.

I'm not saying we need to shut our eyes and plant a smile on our face but if we are to be concerned (and we should be) let's do so constructively and find a positive way of channelling our frustration.

Good post Stewart,but what concerns me is that we could lose Thomson,Miller,Wilson,Webster etc but we managed to give Kirk Clubfoot and the OAP new contracts when we should have been concentrating on other players,well thats my opinion.:(:(

Good post Stewart,but what concerns me is that we could lose Thomson,Miller,Wilson,Webster etc but we managed to give Kirk Clubfoot and the OAP new contracts when we should have been concentrating on other players,well thats my opinion.:(:(

Mate,

We're obviously operating on a short-term planning regime.

That's why, outwith Fleck, we appear unable to offer contracts unless it comes from the money from that year's budget: i.e. Boyd, Weir, Novo et all all offered contracts this summer but not before so the same goes for the group next year.

That is far from ideal and should be challenged by the support.

Guest Flying Hippo

I don't understand why we don't just forfeit signings and instead extend 3 or 4 contracts

I can almost guarantee that whoever we sign, they won't be as vital to the team as Kenny Miller or Kevin Thomson