Celtic clinch Ledley signing

Is that his position? Thought he was the left back of the future?

He plays both positions mate. We should expect that of a good attacking fullback. Look at the likes of Spain with their RB Ramos; does his defensive duties well when he's not attacking/supporting an attack, but all-in-all he plays like a winger. Obviously I'm not comparing those two players, but I think having a good young player that can come in at LB or LM is the way to go for us!

Celtic have named Joe Ledley in their squad for next week’s friendly against MLS side Philadelphia Union. The Welsh midfielder has not been announced as a Celtic player by the Parkhead club but his inclusion in a list published on the Union’s website suggests the deal has been completed.

Talks have been ongoing with Ledley and his representatives over a free transfer move to Glasgow after the player’s contract at Cardiff City expired. However, Celtic have made no official comment on Ledley’s status.

Manager Neil Lennon flies out with his first team squad on Monday for the match in Philadelphia and it now appears Ledley will make his debut in green and white during that trip. Philadelphia Union published the names of the 27 players who would be travelling for the match and the Welsh international has been included in that number.

Despite an error in the list that describes the midfielder as Scottish, the player profile states clearly that he “just recently joined Celtic”.

Lennon’s pursuit of the 32-times capped Welsh international looks to have come to a successful conclusion despite the interest of West Bromwich Albion and English Premier League side Stoke City. Stoke manager Tony Pulis said that despite Ledley not having been confirmed as a Celtic player he had resigned himself to missing out on the player.

“As far as I was concerned, Joe had signed for Celtic and that was the end of the matter,” Pulis told the Sentinel. "He came and spoke to us and we left it for them to come back. It is not a case of us chasing after him.

"I think he is a decent player. He had a bad injury last year which curtailed his form and the amount of appearances he made, but we would like to have him here.

"But we have made our pitch for him, and if he wants to go to Celtic then we can't do anything about that."

Celtic squad for friendly against Philadelphia Union as listed on http://www.philadelphiaunion.com:

GOALKEEPERS: Artur Boruc, Dominic Cervi, Lukasz Zaluska

DEFENDERS: Andreas Hinkel, Glenn Loovens, Jos Hooiveld, Darren O’Dea , Mark Wilson, Paul Caddis, Milan Misun, Charles Mulgrew, Cha Du Ri, Thomas Rogne

MIDFIELDERS: Scott Brown, Joseph Ledley, Shaun Maloney, Patrick McCourt, Marc Crosas, Aiden McGeady, Simon Ferry, James Forrest, Ki Sung Yueng

FORWARDS: Marc Fortune, Georgios Samaras, Morten Rasmussen, Benjamin Hutchison , Paul McGowan

I smell something fishy!

Lack of ambition ? SPL or EPL.... :devil:

I dont think it is that strange a decision Gav. The only known suitors were Celtic, Stoke and Roma. Roma are crippled in debt so you would have to think they werent offering a huge amount by way of salary. Stoke were offering between 15 and 20k which is a lot of money for sure - but Celtic apparently offered him 25k.

So if Stoke's offer was 15k a week - he just bagged half a mill a year (2 mill over his contract) more by signing with Celtic - and with Stoke there is no saying that he may not be back in the Championship in the next couple of years.

Better chance of silverware with the Tims too.

This signing will be another to go down the myth route , the myth's that cardiff recieved several multi million pound bids for him in january , the myth's that there were several EPL teams in for him , the facts are Stoke wanted him on a swap deal , the fact that he missed much of last season with a bad injury and that he is very injury prone.

He is quite a good player but giving any player the wages they are giving him , he better hit the ground running. I really dont see what they are trying to do with their squad