Northern Spirit

Remember we owned them? What exactly happened there, anyone remember?

The Northern Spirit club was founded in 1997, and had its first season in the league in 1998-99. Backed by Australian soccer star Harry Kewell, and featuring international players such as Graham Arnold and Robbie Slater, the club's first match at North Sydney Oval attracted a then-record regular season home crowd of 18,985. The game against Sydney Olympic resulted in a 2-0 loss for the home team, but they consistently attracted crowds of over 10,000 to their matches, and made the finals. The team's second season was not as successful, only winning 11 of their 34 games and finishing 13th. The team finished 13th the next season also, before managing 8th in 2001-02. Crowd numbers continued to dwindle, with the team moving some home matches to Manly's Brookvale Oval. Despite finishing 6th and making the finals for the second time, home crowds did not exceed 4,000 for the entire year. In the team's last season, they moved to Pittwater Rugby Park, which was a significant distance from their regular home ground, but represented the club's ambition to find new supporters by moving into new areas, especially due to a defect to rival club Parramatta Power. Current supporters found the ground very difficult to get to, and home crowds averaged less than 2,000. The club was not helped by ownership issues. An intended partnership with Mark Goldberg, then owner of English club Crystal Palace, never eventuated and the club was born with a shortfall of capital. Scottish club Glasgow Rangers bought Spirit out of debt but seriously misjudged the Australian market, believing that the club could be used to promote Rangers at the expense of local football. Rangers eventually bailed out, learning a hard lesson in the value of their own brand. Subsequent owners failed to turn the club around before the national Soccer League was shut down and the A-League established in 2005.

Hope this helps!

Easy to say with hindsite but being here 2 years now i know the mentality of the Aussy's when it comes to football. 'Real Aussy's' think football or 'Wog ball' as they call it,is for 'poofs'. You then have the 3rd and 2nd generation Aussy's who may be from any back ground ranging from Serbs,Greeks,Italians,Bosnians,Turks. These are the guys that football in australia has the following from. 'RealAussy's' follow AFL if they're from Victoria and Rugby league if they're from NSW and QL.

The reason the National Soccer (hate that word) league folded was because of the 'Wog' teams. Melbourne knights who Viduka was a hero as are croation and used to pull crowds of 15,000 to games. These days playing in the victorian premier league they pull 1,000. They aren't allowed into the A-league because the league bosses want to banish all ethnic clubs and i think it's kind of damaged the game here before it was even on its feet.

Anyway, i've gone off my point, my point is that Rangers clearly didnt do enough research into this before buying the club. Certainly with regards to location, Timing and with having a real good hard look at the way australians actually view football.

Things are slowly starting to change, i heard a stat that more kids play football here than AFL which is great but the AFL are pumping more and more $$$ into the sport to try and 'hold back' the progression of football in australia.

Lets hope the world game finally wins over the whiole of Australia.