Grafenwalder 27 Jul 2010, 11:10 AM Post #1

Occasional Substitute

Group:Members

Member#25,457

So we begin a new campaign with an untried and untested manager.

His predecessor was arguably the worst manager in our history although most of us wish him well for the future.

Our main opponents (in terms of trophies) appear to be in free-fall although I say this with some caution - they have only lost 2 or 3 meaningful domestic matches in the last 18 months. I think it would be a mistake to under-estimate them. Their manager is shrewd and tactically aware and they will always have officialdom and most of the media pulling for them.

The volume of players leaving and arriving at Celtic is probably unprecedented in our history so it may be worth identifying outcomes by which the new regime should be judged.

Would you, for example, say that winning one or both of the cups and getting closer to Rangers would represent a successful season? Would you say we need to be playing good, attacking football as well as winning? What are your expectations with regard to Europe? What would represent success and what would represent failure?

I think we should make it clear, before the season begins, exactly what we would regard as acceptable in terms of outcomes to judge the performance of our new management team.

For me, winning the SPL is a must. If we do this, I would define the season as a success. If we do not, I would say the management would have failed and should be replaced. The thought of Smith sailing off into the sunset after winning three in a row with a club effectively in administration, troubles me, to say the least. So, for me, this season is all about the SPL.

Obviously a decent run in Europe and winning the cup competitions would be nice but I would say Lennon should not be judged on these. Even if we got pumped out of Europe, going on to win the SPL would make for a successful season in my opinion. Equally, losing the SPL (however close the league standings and however well we think we played) would be an unmitigated disaster and should result in him and those who appointed him being dismissed.

I hope (and believe) that Lennon agrees this season is all about winning the League. I really don't care what brand of football we play, as long as we win.

What do others think?

:)

The volume of players leaving and arriving at Celtic is probably unprecedented in our history so it may be worth identifying outcomes by which the new regime should be judged.

Didn't Monkeyheed sign more players pre-season than Lennon has so far?

elliot the tim 27 Jul 2010, 11:52 AM Post #22

parrrrrrrrrrtay !!

Group:Snr. Member

Member#3,987

Favourite all-time player

Johan Mjallby

I will say at this point we will win the league by between 10 and 15 points. Completely behind what Lennon is trying to achieve.

Brendan7 27 Jul 2010, 01:22 PM Post #81

First name on the team-sheet

Member#9,635

Minimum: League and Scottish Cup. The huns really shouldn't win anything this year and it would be interesting to see the odds on us doing the treble. If we won the league but they won the two cups I would be pretty gutted.

Wee Red 27 Jul 2010, 01:49 PM Post #96

not too serious

Member#439

Favourite all-time player

Murdoch

I'm just an optimistic, greedy, yet pragmatic mad Celtic man. I want us to win back the league in style, and I want us to give the old European cage a right good rattling, get the name back on foreigners lips. We should be able to beat any team on a cup tie basis

I know it's a very tall ask, but I dont think we should be wary of taking it on, one game at a time. We started off well last year in Moscow, I believe we have a better group of players now, and that they are better coached and inspired.

tinsoldier 27 Jul 2010, 02:22 PM Post #101

Off treasure hunting in Holland

Member#480

This is Walter Smith's final season in charge of the peepil remember so there will be a concerted campaign in the press to see him go out on a high on his white horse with possibly a knighthood tucked under his arm.

This will take place in the form of a weekly "Walters Rant" which will include complaints about his threadbare squad, the number of games he has to play, the transfer window, having to put young players on the bench, the club being skint/financial position being exaggerated and the fact you never see white dog shampooe anymore.

Chuck in the fact there is a new upstart in the Celtic dugout who will have to be slapped down by officialdom on and off the park winning the league will be a great achievement in Neil Lennon's first season and a sweet one at that.

Prince 29 Jul 2010, 10:06 PM Post #231

Occasional Substitute

Member#5,888

Celtic to win the league,

Dundee Utd runners up,

Celtic 10 points ahead by christmas,

The dark side to get pumped by at least two goals every champions league game home and away.

Big Drew Yesterday, 12:08 PM Post #239

Rio Fergus McCann CSC

Member#151

katlegend29 Jul 2010, 08:06 PM

The fact that its even a posabilityfor the Huns to do 3 in a row in their current state says it all about the way our club is run.It says a lot about the way modern football works. A club can go out and spend money it doesn't have and can't repay to buy players good enough to win the league. We've been "punished" for running the club within its finances whilst the huns have spent other folks' money on players they couldn't really afford.

However, they will reap the benefits soon enough.