Bougherra Sticking with Gers

Guest Guivarc'h

He has never once stated he was unhappy at Rangers or wanted to leave. Once he plays 5 or 6 games on the bounce, the fans will all adore him again

Defender Madjid Bougherra has handed Rangers a welcome boost by committing his future to Ibrox.

More...

Sought-after defender Madjid Bougherra has handed Rangers a welcome boost by committing his future to Ibrox.

Financially-stricken Gers were in danger of losing their prize stopper this summer after the 27-year-old attracted interest from numerous European clubs.

But the Algeria centre-back has revealed he will remain at the Scottish champions, admitting his decision was influenced by manager Walter Smith and the club's supporters.

"Yes, I'll stay with Rangers," Bougherra said in the Daily Record. "I prefer to stay with the team so I can maintain stability at the club.

"Also, I have to be fair to the Rangers supporters. They have insisted I stay at the club.

"And I have the highest respect for the Rangers manager too."

Meanwhile, Bougherra could be joined in Glasgow by two new signings, with Rangers reportedly targeting USA internationals Alejandro Bedoya and Benny Feilhaber.

Edited by Frankie