So, the Jig is in for a wee while longer..

Guest Flying Hippo
WHilst I too am frustrated at offering him a new contract and not Thommo and also a little frustrated by it all I woudl argue that he wont revert to type as being average is his type. I dont think he's anywhere near as bad as people have made out. Even the Manchester season. Had a Lafferty or other player scored that goal in Lyon they be living off that for years. Lee wasn't even cut some slack til the end of that year.

He is an average but dependable player. As a defensive mid he'll do the dirty work. Unappreciated. Nothing great but not terrible either.

I posted on FF back in those days and i was one of McCulloch's biggest backers when he was, for want of a better word, a hate figure. And yes, he's nowhere near as bad as some people make out. However, to sell a 25 year old because "we couldn't afford to offer him a new contract" but extend the contract of a 32 year old is utter, utter madness. Maybe if McCulloch was the better player but he's not. It's bad enough knowing that he'll be shoehorned into the side no matter how he plays, but knowing that he's getting a contract extension before those who are far more deserving of one takes the biscuit. Where was Nacho Novo's new 2 year contract? He was younger than McCulloch aswell!

Where was Nacho Novo's new 2 year contract? He was younger than McCulloch aswell!

That was what surprised me more about this announcement... We couldn't offer Novo 2 years, but McCulloch we can? Unless its just the timing of it all? Or maybe Novo wasn't as loyal as he made out? I mean it took "minutes" to sort out lee's deal. I doubt it, but there has to be some sort of explanation to this puzzle...

Guest Flying Hippo
That was what surprised me more about this announcement... We couldn't offer Novo 2 years, but McCulloch we can? Unless its just the timing of it all? Or maybe Novo wasn't as loyal as he made out? I mean it took "minutes" to sort out lee's deal. I doubt it, but there has to be some sort of explanation to this puzzle...

There's no doubting Novo's loyalty. He wanted regular first team football but would've sacrificed it for a 2 year deal. We offered 1 year and wouldn't budge. Bain then went on to tell us that he didn't think the fans really wanted Novo to be still be at the club in 2 years time. Of course not Martin, but the idea of 34 year old McCulloch leading us out in 2012/13 is amazing!

I posted on FF back in those days and i was one of McCulloch's biggest backers when he was, for want of a better word, a hate figure. And yes, he's nowhere near as bad as some people make out. However, to sell a 25 year old because "we couldn't afford to offer him a new contract" but extend the contract of a 32 year old is utter, utter madness. Maybe if McCulloch was the better player but he's not. It's bad enough knowing that he'll be shoehorned into the side no matter how he plays, but knowing that he's getting a contract extension before those who are far more deserving of one takes the biscuit. Where was Nacho Novo's new 2 year contract? He was younger than McCulloch aswell!

Think we're pretty much on the same page then. :thup: (don't like the shoehorn argument but in the overall argument it isn't important ;)).

Guest Flying Hippo
Think we're pretty much on the same page then. :thup: (don't like the shoehorn argument but in the overall argument it isn't important ;)).

Jigsaw getting the nod over Broadfoot at centre half at the Piggerie in May says it all ;)

Walter won't drop him if he can help it. As recently as the final OF game of last season, he started Jigsaw at centre half ahead of Broadfoot

And rightly so. Broadfoot is not very good at centre half to say the least.

McCulloch literally isn't a centre half. After Unirea, it sickened me to see him used in defence again

I have more trust in Lee than in Broadfoot at CH. I remember a goal against Celtic that sickened me and showed Broadfoot up as a poor CH.

Guest Northampton_loyalist

Maybe Smith thinks that Lee offered more to the team on a regular basis than Novo (and he would be on the money)? Maybe at the time of Novo going we were FAR worse off than we are now, and now that the purse strings are a little less tight we can start looking at better deals for guys?