So, the Jig is in for a wee while longer..

Guest Flying Hippo
That's exactly what I was going to ask:confused:

Sell a 25 year old because we can't give him the contract extension he wants

Great business Rangers

Sell a 25 year old because we can't give him the contract extension he wants

Great business Rangers

maybe Thomson wanted a pay rise??,maybe jig has resigned on the same wages??:confused:

Guest Northampton_loyalist

http://www.rangers.co.uk/articles/20100812/lees-here-for-long-run_2254024_2120559

Exclusive by Andrew Dickson

LEE McCULLOCH has given Rangers a boost ahead of the new SPL season by signing a two-year contract extension.

The 32-year-old is going into his fourth campaign at Ibrox after coming north from Wigan Athletic in July 2007.

Lee McCulloch in the new away kitHe impressed in a holding role as the Light Blues won the SPL and League Cup last term and his performances caught the eye of other clubs.

Gers were aware of interest from a number of sides who were keen to move for McCulloch ahead of the new campaign.

As such, they've acted swiftly to fend them off and tie the Scotland star up on a new deal that keeps him in Glasgow until the summer of 2013.

McCulloch made 44 starts and three substitute appearances in 2009/10, scoring seven times.

His most crucial goal was undoubtedly against Celtic, with his header in the New Year derby at Parkhead securing a vital 1-1 draw.

McCulloch rated last season as the best of his career and having established himself in the holding role, he's keen to build on it as the club goes for a third consecutive title.

He said: "It's our aim to be champions again and hopefully we can get a few players in so that we've a chance of doing that.

"I know the club is trying to secure the players who are going to be out of contract next year and there are efforts being made to bring in new faces too.

"I want to be a part of things at Rangers and now I'm really looking forward to the season ahead. My extension offer came about very quickly and it was a no brainer to sign.

Lee McCulloch"Martin Bain and the gaffer asked me what I wanted to do and I told them I wanted to stay. It was nothing to do with money - I just wanted to be here trying to win trophies.

"Everything was done and dusted in a matter of minutes. I didn't have to think about it and was delighted to stay."

McCulloch will be 35 by the time his new agreement expires and he is thrilled at the show of faith he has received from manager Walter Smith.

He added: "Obviously the gaffer is only here for another season then after that the plan is for Ally McCoist, Kenny McDowall and Ian Durrant to take over.

"It's great that I'm going to be around too. Everyone here has made me feel really wanted and it is fantastic to be playing for such a great club."

Stoke striker James Beattie visited Ibrox and Murray Park today and met with manager Smith and chief executive Martin Bain. Discussions with the player are ongoing.

Fair play, I think he deserves it after last season. Nice to hear we are working on getting the rest of the squad tied to longer deals (those that need it anyway)