So, the Jig is in for a wee while longer..

I'm not with the people who are taking this very badly but I am perplexed as I thought the reason Thommo left was we could not offer him and extension. Is Thommo on that much more money? And surley the younger player represents a better financial option in respect of sell on value etc.

Lets leave opinions of other sites out of the debate please everyone. Lets not forget that the people posting their ire at LM getting an extension are posting their own opinion, not necessarily that of the site.

Personally I am quite glad he got an extension as he has done well in the last year or so. And if we are going to play this 4-2-3-1 then he would sit quite well beside Edu in my opinion.

Agree, big Lee deserves a new contract. He may not be the most technical player but you do get the feeling he is giving 100%

Guest Flying Hippo

Just how many more midfielders is Big Lee going to see off now he's signed up til the age of 35? He's seen off Hemdani, Ferguson, Mendes, and Thomson, and he'll probably now see off Edu and Davis too

I'm absolutely fuming at this after the ridiculous reasoning behind Thomson's departure ("we aren't in a position to offer new contracts") McCulloch is an average player off the back of an above average season. He'll revert to type soon enough (if he hasn't already; i thought he ended the season miserably) especially now his retirement plans are sorted. Pity Kevin Thomson wasn't afforded the same loyalty eh

Just how many more midfielders is Big Lee going to see off now he's signed up til the age of 35? He's seen off Hemdani, Ferguson, Mendes, and Thomson, and he'll probably now see off Edu and Davis too

I'm absolutely fuming at this after the ridiculous reasoning behind Thomson's departure ("we aren't in a position to offer new contracts") McCulloch is an average player off the back of an above average season. He'll revert to type soon enough (if he hasn't already; i thought he ended the season miserably) especially now his retirement plans are sorted. Pity Kevin Thomson wasn't afforded the same loyalty eh

We could get 2 mill for Thomson, we would get hee haw for Lee. The difference in the style of play i feel will not be much. Thomson has had bad injuries and the medical staff may have advised 2 mill was a good offer for someone who seems to walk an injury tightrope.

Guest Flying Hippo
We could get 2 mill for Thomson, we would get hee haw for Lee. The difference in the style of play i feel will not be much. Thomson has had bad injuries and the medical staff may have advised 2 mill was a good offer for someone who seems to walk an injury tightrope.

Well we were supposedly fending off offers for McCulloch with a stick if today's press release is to be believed....

Thomson had youth on his side and natural ability that McCulloch could only dream of. It makes me sick that he claimed back in May that he wanted to sign a new contract only for us to sell him and claim we couldn't afford to offer him one, yet a man 7 years his senior is now signed up til the age of 35

There's also no way that McCulloch is on a lower wage than Thomson considering he signed from the EPL and Thomson signed from a club who, at the time at least, had a �£2000 a week wage cap

Really disappointed in this news.

I was really hoping that this would be his last season, and that perhaps with Davis and Edu holding down the central midfield positions, Lee might be warming the bench more than chasing opposition midfielders around a 10 yard square area in the centre of the park.

Offers us absolutely nothing as a creative influence, doesnt track back properly often enough, is outrun by almost every opponent, and his idea of a tackle is normally the ref's idea of a foul.

Yes, he gives 100% and is a loyal and true Ranger, which is more than can be said for a lot of them, but I want to see quality footballers wearing the Rangers shirt, especially the number six jersey worn with such distinction in the past, and "big Lee" fails to impress me with almost every touch.

I am even more disgusted that we actually are reporting that 2 EPL clubs were in for him. If we have to pay �£1.5M for a similarly aged Beattie, surely even Bain could have got a good fee for a current Internationalist and experienced pro that is wanted by 2 other clubs.

The saving grace, albeit a short term one, is that at least with him suspended for Saturday I dont have to watch him for a wee while longer.

Guest Flying Hippo

I can barely contain my excitement at the prospect of Edu and McCulloch central and David wide right for the majority of our matches. Or maybe Edu will be dropped. Our future captain with the snazzy new contract certainly won't be warming any benches

Well we were supposedly fending off offers for McCulloch with a stick if today's press release is to be believed....

Thomson had youth on his side and natural ability that McCulloch could only dream of. It makes me sick that he claimed back in May that he wanted to sign a new contract only for us to sell him and claim we couldn't afford to offer him one, yet a man 7 years his senior is now signed up til the age of 35

There's also no way that McCulloch is on a lower wage than Thomson considering he signed from the EPL and Thomson signed from a club who, at the time at least, had a �£2000 a week wage cap

Using McCulloch gives Edu a more attacking role. Edu is in my eyes a far better player than Thomson. Again, Thomson's knees have been ckufed twice and he has not really fully recovered from the last time. One year on his contract. 2mill back that we paid for him. 1+1=2

WHilst I too am frustrated at offering him a new contract and not Thommo and also a little frustrated by it all I woudl argue that he wont revert to type as being average is his type. I dont think he's anywhere near as bad as people have made out. Even the Manchester season. Had a Lafferty or other player scored that goal in Lyon they be living off that for years. Lee wasn't even cut some slack til the end of that year.

He is an average but dependable player. As a defensive mid he'll do the dirty work. Unappreciated. Nothing great but not terrible either.