How I thought my debut went - Beattie.

JAMES BEATTIE was relieved Walter Smith had to resort to Plan B against Kilmarnock - because it handed him his Ibrox debut.

The Rangers gaffer's Plan A was to start the match with the 32-year-old hitman on the bench.

When Steve Davis failed to shake off a virus, picked up when he was on international duty with Northern Ireland in Montenegro in midweek, Smith sent for new boy Beattie.

The striker, who received a warm ovation from Gers fans when he was substituted 10 minutes before the end of the champs' 2-1 victory, said: "I was only told I was playing two hours before kick-off.

"I didn't even know Davo was ill, but I sort of gathered something was happening when the gaffer pulled me into his office. I knew I hadn't been here long enough to do something wrong!

"Even before he started talking I knew I was gonna say: 'Yeah, I'd love to help out'. As far as I'm concerned there's no time like now to get started."

Beattie failed to make a scoring start on his home debut, but he put himself about and linked well with his new partner Kenny Miller.

He confessed he was still kicking himself after missing out on a couple of chances he might well have buried on another day.

He added: "You always want to score on your debut and I had two decent chances.

"The first was a crossfield ball and Kenny did really great to get the header back into the danger area.

"I connected with the ball really well, but the keeper made a good save.

"I think if I'd have mis-hit it then it would have gone in. For the second one the centre-half slipped and I went through. Then I cut inside and I slipped too, so maybe that was karma!

"I don't know how long it will take for me to hit match fitness. The sooner the better really.

"I've done a whole pre-season and haven't missed any days.

"I haven't played - or been allowed to play - games against decent opposition.

"Whenever the games come I'll give it everything I've got whether it's 60, 70 or 80 minutes, whatever the gaffer decides to play me. I'll give him everything I can.

"I'll work hard this week and I'm sure the fitness coaches will have some stuff lined up for me which I'll be happy to do.

"Obviously you get your match sharpness from games and hopefully I'll be able to retain my place and play against Hibs next Sunday." Beattie had to take a back seat as goals from Miller and Stevie Naismith earned all three points for Gers.

The champions were made to sweat for the last half hour after Jamie Hamill converted a penalty when Sasa Papac pushed over James Dayton.

Beattie, below, struck up an instant rapport with Miller.

He said: "I've known Kenny for quite a while.

"He's good friends with Joleon Lescott who I played with at Everton. Kenny was Joleon's team-mate at Wolves so I've seen him around.

"I was looking forward to playing up front with him, even though it was a bit earlier than I was expecting.

"If you put two good players together then it's going to be a strong partnership.

"We did OK today and it was nice to start with a win.

"The lads came out for the start of each half very well and we dominated the first 20 to 25 minutes of each.

"Obviously we got the goal in the first half, but then we took the foot off the pedal which is something the gaffer wants to address and stamp out of our performances.

"Likewise we came out strong in the second half, got the goal, then let Kilmarnock in straight away with their penalty."

Gers boss Smith said: "There's no doubt James has a bit of sharpness to find. Under normal circumstances he wouldn't have been asked to play today.

"He's only had a couple of games for Stoke reserves, while the majority of the boys have had five or six full matches.

"He's well down in terms of pre-season preparation and that will take him a few weeks to catch up on.

"We were pleased with his initial showing, considering his training routine has been upset this week."

Killie gaffer Mixu Paatelainen added: "We passed the ball well at times and we caused them some problems.

"There were quite long periods when I felt we were on top, which was fantastic.

"The players deserve so much credit because they have only been together for six weeks. The boys are starting to know their roles, but we were a little blunt in the final third."

That seems a fair appraisal to me.

I was surprised at his inclusion from the start as like most I was expecting him to come on from the bench.

I dont expect him to start at Easter Road next Sunday as that game normally has such a high pace to it, it would probably not be suitable for him just yet.

Given Beattie's sharpness, and with Davis back and McCulloch still suspended, I am hopeful to seeing what I believe will be our strongest 11 available next week, although I am aware that Walter very rarely agrees with me on the correct starting 11, and as he has won many titles and I haven't, I have to allow him that right!!

"Obviously we got the goal in the first half, but then we took the foot off the pedal which is something the gaffer wants to address and stamp out of our performances.

This is the part the annoys me the most about our performances. I reckon we could have taken Killie for 5 or 6 yesterday if we had actually applied ourselves for the full 90. Yet again though we go 1 up and immediately take our foot off the gas.

It isnt acceptable IMO.

This is the part the annoys me the most about our performances. I reckon we could have taken Killie for 5 or 6 yesterday if we had actually applied ourselves for the full 90. Yet again though we go 1 up and immediately take our foot off the gas.

It isnt acceptable IMO.

I totally agree. We've always been bad for that since Walter returned. He says he wants to address the problem but it just keeps happening over and over. Why should it change now?