The future of football..be very afraid.

We or rather the english are on the road to ruin........the danger is that they may suck us into their house of cards, with promises of untold riches, which is in truth crippling debt. The warning signs are there for all to see.

They will need us.... the Old Firm.... more than we will need them.

Manchester City have swept past Manchester United in the pay league for players, the club's annual report revealed.

The figures also show details of City's astonishing spending spree on players and salaries which have led to record losses of �£121.3million. Although City's turnover increased by 40% to �£125m this has been swamped by total salary costs of �£133.3m, a �£50m rise on a year ago.

That puts City - bankrolled by Abu Dhabi-based owner Sheikh Mansour - ahead of United, whose wage bill is �£123m, and Arsenal (�£110m) and closing in fast on Chelsea (�£142m).

City chief executive Garry Cook said the losses "should come as no surprise" but that the club would now scale back on new signings.

I have argued this very point with many , why anyone would want to be part of the EPL is beyond me , yes there is �£40-�£50 million per year but the wages that the majority of ordinary players recieve is obscene and would lead us down a path we really dont want to go down

If we had moved to the EPL at the turn of the century, then given the financial profligacy and our general stewardship since then, it would be no surprise if we had ended up in a Portsmouth type scenario.

Lets not forget that both Chelsea and Man City were struggling in mountainous debts until their sugar daddies arrived.

If we had moved to the EPL at the turn of the century, then given the financial profligacy and our general stewardship since then, it would be no surprise if we had ended up in a Portsmouth type scenario.

Lets not forget that both Chelsea and Man City were struggling in mountainous debts until their sugar daddies arrived.

And still are, despite the sugar daddies.

God forbid Rangers ever leave the Scottish game for the EPL. I'd rather see us play at any level in our own midden than lose our identity chasing something that is actually far less important than it's too often made out to be. From one angle I can see the desire to see another Gazza, another Laudrup, and the realization that only greater sums of money than now available could see us go out and find their like. Personally however I get no less satisfaction and enjoyment seeing us overcome our challeges and lift a trophy with the players we have. Rangers will always be a great club to me and I'll never need anyone else to find favourable comparison with Barcelona, Man Utd or whatever in order to prove it.

Europe's elite are increasingly judged on the basis of their spending power. Greatness is measured by wealth. Rangers have no access to that wealth but there are other more important and equally valid criteria by which to judge achievement and status, some of which Rangers have in spades. Give me an owner and directors who genuinely go to bat for those values and I'd feel we has just about everything.

A fine post MF and one which I wholeheartedly agree with.

Yes the bright lights and swag bags of the EPL are tempting, so tempting, but we're a Scottish club in a Scottish league with our history rooted within it. Do we give all that up for a high-risk holiday in the land of plenty? Or do we examine the background of the club, find improvement, achieve financial self-reliance and work towards competitiveness with those leagues?

By all means, explore other avenues of investment and improvement but our home is in Scotland - as Champions.