I thought I'd start a seperate thread from the match thread to discuss Willie Collums performance because no doubt there will be a good bit of discussion regards his performance today.

Personally, I felt he had a great performance. I was working at the match today and missed the 1st 10-15 minutes but managed to catch just about the rest of the game. Yes, he got a few decisions wrong but every referee does just like every footballer does too. Some slack should always be cut towards refs because they only have one take on it whereas we can look at it over and over again and then give our opinion.

There' was a lot of pressure put on the shoulders of Collum by the media and of course Celtic. Never on a million years did I think we'd be given a penalty at Parkhead after the propaganda being spewed out of Celtic Park since early last season regarding decisions going against them. I was behind the goals where all the goals happened. I had an excellent view of the incident and felt it was a penalty. The only thing I would criticise Collum for was his positioning seconds before he gave the penalty. In saying that though, he might not have given it if he was standing elsewhere.

I never saw McCullochs booking or Stokes' but felt the yellows he gave out afterwards were correct, even the Samararse one.

I'd probably reate his performance as 8/10.

Thoughts?

Edited by Gazza_8

I thought he did a fairly good job. That said, Samaras stayed on the park despite 2 straight red card lunges and a sly little knock on McGregor's head. I also thought there was a hell of a lot of diving going on in the first half with Celtic players constantly hitting the deck.

I also thought the penalty for us was the correct decision. Yes Broadfoot went down easily but if a defender lifts boths arms in the box and makes contact, a penalty is justified.

I don't think he was great. Stokes' tackle on Papac was a red, 90 seconds or 90 minutes into the game. McCulloch should never have been booked for his tackle, Samaras' a few minutes later was much worse as he got none of the ball and no card. His lunge at into the back of Naismith?? later was a booking at least, could have merited a red as there was obvious intent to get the player as the ball was nowhere near to be won. As for his dunt to McGregor's head, it wa nothing more than a tickle, however, following the shenanigans with McGregor at Aberdeen, there can be no excuse whatsoever for the SPL/SFA whoever, to look at that and take action.

Lastly, the penalty. It was a blatant dive, and the referee gave it without seing the incident, he was turned the other way, it cannot be denied. However, this is where the assistant should have called to the ref to advise him to change his mind - but after the way ra Sellick have pilloried the officials at Tannadice, who in their right mind would put there flag up for that sort of controversy, especially in support of the team and manager that has virtually chased one of your colleagues out the game. Surely this should be a lesson to the managment at Porkheid - a bit of dignity and decorum goes a long way.

I thought he did ok, but missed just how bad the Stokes challenge was and a lot of niggly off the ball stuff from Celtic players as well as numerous fouls from Samaras. There was a lot of this and repeated fouled which went unpunished which i think is what was winding up Naismith and Weir in particular. The Samaras kick on Naismith was a straight red.

I didn't think it was a penalty for us and i thought Broadfoot took a dive which is pretty cringeworthy tbh. Unless the replays showed something different, it was a blatant dive. But given the last week, Celtic can't be surprised that the ref made a decision on his own can they? They just don't seem to get it.

Thing is, with Collum, what did Celtic expect? After the fuss they made last weekend over a correct decision, they've again heaped pressure on the ref before the game and i see Lennon has said they'll be looking for an explanation from him over his performance today and a couple of decisions in particular. Despite some of the reports I've read, Rangers didn't look troubled at all today apart from the goal. Celtic were really poor which isn't surprising considering the number of changes they've made, but they need to just get over this complex they have where they don't take any responsibility for their actions.

People have said that the penalty ended the fightback, but there was no fightback from them at 1-1 or 2-1, so by the time the third went in, it was all over. It'll be interesting to see how the media report all of this as i don't see how any reasonable person could watch that game today and deny that the better team won.

I don't think he was great. Stokes' tackle on Papac was a red, 90 seconds or 90 minutes into the game. McCulloch should never have been booked for his tackle, Samaras' a few minutes later was much worse as he got none of the ball and no card. His lunge at into the back of Naismith?? later was a booking at least, could have merited a red as there was obvious intent to get the player as the ball was nowhere near to be won. As for his dunt to McGregor's head, it wa nothing more than a tickle, however, following the shenanigans with McGregor at Aberdeen, there can be no excuse whatsoever for the SPL/SFA whoever, to look at that and take action.

Lastly, the penalty. It was a blatant dive, and the referee gave it without seing the incident, he was turned the other way, it cannot be denied. However, this is where the assistant should have called to the ref to advise him to change his mind - but after the way ra Sellick have pilloried the officials at Tannadice, who in their right mind would put there flag up for that sort of controversy, especially in support of the team and manager that has virtually chased one of your colleagues out the game. Surely this should be a lesson to the managment at Porkheid - a bit of dignity and decorum goes a long way.

Forget to take your happy pills today Juff? ;)

People have said that the penalty ended the fightback, but there was no fightback from them at 1-1 or 2-1, so by the time the third went in, it was all over. It'll be interesting to see how the media report all of this as i don't see how any reasonable person could watch that game today and deny that the better team won.

The media and press will report the penalty incident as a dive.

Trying to come off them, they were making me too cheery. Didn't like it!

Just thought that the ref had quite a shocker to be honest.

I felt he was fairly strong with both sets of players and let the game flow when possible. He was in a no win situation after the amount of garbage Celtic have spewed this last week.

The media and press will report the penalty incident as a dive.

It was a dive in my eyes and even if it wasn't a dive there wasn't enough in it to give a penalty. As Juffery says Samaras should have been booked for the lunge tackle in the first half( can't remember on who) and the wild kick at the back of Naismiths legs should have been a straight red. If anyone wants an impartial view on it even the Dutch commentator couldn't believe it was only yellow and not red.

Just for the info i hate people calling Loovens Loo vens it is in fact pronounced Low vens. Just call him a prick that is even better.:)