From The Scotsman

WALTER Smith is ready to prescribe a rest cure for some of his key players tonight in a bid to ensure they do not weary in their pursuit of his twin priorities of SPL title success and European progress this season.

While the Rangers manager would never intentionally disrespect the League Cup, a competition in which he has enjoyed considerable success throughout his coaching career, he admits he will not field his strongest possible line-up in tonight's quarter-final against Kilmarnock at Rugby Park.

With Smith already casting an eye on next Tuesday's Champions League assignment in Valencia, which could prove crucial to Rangers' prospects of reaching the last 16 of the tournament, he will utilise his relatively limited first-team squad to the full this evening.

"We are asking an awful lot from the players just now, I realise that," said Smith. "This next stage, in the run up to Christmas, will be crucial. We have quite a number of games before the end of the year, so it will be a big test.

"We've just finished an intense seven days with the games against Valencia and Celtic. We also had a lot of our lads away with Scotland whose game against Spain was especially demanding both physically and mentally.

"We have a situation where one or two players could be doing with a rest. Our international lads, for example, have played a lot of football already this season. We can't make too many changes because we don't have that big a squad of players. But the likes of John Fleck and James Beattie will feature."

Goalkeeper Neil Alexander, defender Andy Webster and loan signing Richard Foster are also in contention, along with youngsters Kyle Hutton and Gregg Wylde who were both involved when Rangers defeated Dunfermline 7-2 at Ibrox in the previous round.

"We have to try and adjust," added Smith. "After the cup game at Kilmarnock, we are at home to an Inverness side who haven't lost away from home this season and then we go to Valencia next Tuesday night.

"We have a lot of awkward situations because of the predicament we are in. The good thing this season is the players have made people forget about the problems we have. People forget we are a club not in the best condition at the moment. But while we are doing alright just now, we will have problems to overcome during the season, so we can't look too far ahead."

While Smith was quick to play down the significance of Sunday's 3-1 win at Celtic which saw Rangers open up a three-point lead at the top of the SPL, he did not hide his sense of gratification at the level of performance and results his players have delivered on a consistent basis this season.

As they look to build upon the six trophies they have gathered since Smith's return to the club almost four years ago, he believes his team are finally receiving the kind of plaudits they deserve.

"I'm as proud of this team as I have been of any I have managed in the past," said Smith. "Particularly because the circumstances are so different. I hope they can go on and continue to be successful. People are never happy. There is a happy medium in every other situation, but in our country we never seem to achieve that. We were rotten according to some people last season but now we are being likened to really good sides.

"We are a successful team, we have a good team and a strong group of players. If this team is suddenly getting compared to teams of the past, then that's fine. I have no problem with that.

"They have a good work ethic in their play. We might not have what people consider to be star players but we do have good players spread throughout our team. They have accepted every challenge I've ever given them. If people are starting to make comparisons, then that's a step forward because in the past they have not been regarded as half decent. When teams stay together for a period of time, then a spirit is forged. That's not exclusive to Rangers. Our group has played together for a number of years now and, as in any walk of life, they have a resilience which comes from bonding well."

Sasa Papac is a definite absentee for Rangers tonight, having suffered an ankle injury as a result of Anthony Stokes' challenge in the opening moments of Sunday's Old Firm game. Smith, however, is hopeful the Bosnian defender will be fit in time for the trip to Valencia.

Pity this game isn't on TV tonight as I'm looking forward to seeing Hutton play.