2018/2022 World Cups

But the US hosted it, in relative terms, very recently. Which is why I also couldn't understand Japan's bid.

Japan's bid was a very strange one too in my mind.

The US bid though still made sense - there is money to be made through the WC and the US economy could be doing with the lift. It was 94 they held it so by 2022 that will be 28 years since they hosted it. In relative terms, yep, recently - but who else from their federation could host it ?

There is also nothing preventing them from making a bid for the 2026 either obviously - IMO they probably have the best infrastructure of all the countries bidding for 2022 - which is probably part of the reason why they bid for that particular WC. They also need to see an increase in participation and interest in the sport as a few of the MLS clubs are building their own stadia - so winning the WC would be the easiest way of them increasing the profile of "soccer" in the US.

As I say though I would have given it to Australia too as they havent had the chance to host it before and a nation of that size and, more importantly, infrastructure really should have the opportunity.

Good point! I forgot they had hosted it before I was born.. :D

Actually they have hosted it twice AFTER you were born.... 1970 and 1986 - Zappa, if you were born after 1970 then I feel good about how I look for my age :devil: :thup:

Btw England are saying they wont make a bid again (until the process changes). Just sums up the arrogance displayed in there bid from the off. We are england ergo we deserve to automatically win the bidding process and we're in a huff now because we didn't.

Have the other unsuccesful nations also had a strop? Or just the arrogant English, pretty universally hated and not doing anything to change that.

They've had the WC before. Imo, only, any semi-decent and realisitc bid from a country which has not before hosted the competition should be considered before countries who have had it.