Supporters direct survey

Brahim the survey asked heehaw if is the one at the start of this , we donot have 16 teams and where would you make up the drop in income , becausr season tickets would need to fall , you cant keep taking money out the game , playoffs would bring supporters back , sky have already said they would want them , you need to make the competition better not worse .

Sorry if I was harsh on the wee bloke but that was the impression I got from his inyerview , he wanted a say desperately , who is he anyway and how was he elected to speak on my behalf

Brahim the survey asked heehaw if is the one at the start of this , we donot have 16 teams and where would you make up the drop in income , becausr season tickets would need to fall , you cant keep taking money out the game , playoffs would bring supporters back , sky have already said they would want them , you need to make the competition better not worse .

Sorry if I was harsh on the wee bloke but that was the impression I got from his inyerview , he wanted a say desperately , who is he anyway and how was he elected to speak on my behalf

Well, rbr, to take your last first. James Proctor "the wee bloke" (which is correct, he is small in height) is the Development Manager of SD Scotland. As such one of his jobs is to promote the Trust movement in Scotland. However, as I have said elsewhere, the Scottish Trusts themselves have asked SD to have more of an advocacy role for supporters views than they have had in the past. What is worth remembering in that context is that whilst there are many different tentacles of the Rangers Assembly, that is not necessarilly so in smaller clubs where the Trust and the Supporters Association are more closely related. So the views of the such and such Utd Trust may well be similar to the views of such and such Utd fans as a whole.

The survey itself was never meant to be exhaustive, it was taken as snap shot of views on he proposals being considered including:

�An SPL 1 and an SPL 2 consisting of ten teams in each league.

�The remaining clubs below this will be organised in regional leagues (based on location).

�An earlier start to the season and the introduction of a winter break.

�The potential for top league teams to enter a reserve or 'B' team in SPL2 or lower leagues.

The intention was to find out the views of football supporters as a whole, NOT JUST TRUST MEMBERS on the changes that are being proposed. To that end all respondents were asked to tell other supporters about it and get them to give their views too.

I can tell you that as of now, close to 3,000 people have completed the survey and the results willl be independently analysed by professionals in the field. A majority of the respondents are NOT TRUST MEMBERS.

That said, SD do not claim to speak for all supporters and were not in fact consulted on this issue. The issues that SD disussed with McLeish were: social value of football clubs, community ownership and supporters representation on the SFA. All of these are included in the Report. Perhaps it is instructive the he did not consult fans on the structure of the Leagues!

Your own views seem to be in sympathy with McLeish inasmuch as he puts the financial arguments ahead of the pure football arguments.

In my opinion, there are a number of teams in the SFL with recent SPL experience and good enough stadia and decent levels of support e.g. Falkirk, Dunfermline, Dundee, Partick Thistle to make up a 16. Personally, I would prefer to see these teams once a year at Ibrox and visit them once year in the league rather than the present set up and overall I believe it would strengthen our football but it is all a matter of opinion. I respect yours.

Obviously a 16 or 18 team SPL would mean a reduction in finance from league games so there would have to be an alternative such as an extended league cup. I found it very interesting that the Chairman of cash strapped Kilmarnock said he would be prepared to sacrifice one or two old firm games a season for a better league set up. I don't have any objections to play-offs so long as there is at least one automatic place for relegation/promotion.

I hope this answers some of your concerns.

By the way, I understand that the SPL meeting on Monday may be postponed because of the weather; if so SD will hold off publishing their results.

how was he elected to speak on my behalf

Sorry, I did mean to answer that point as well, though I think it is self evident from my reply that he was not elected, he is an employee and he does not speak or claim to speak on your behalf.

There is nothing whatsover preventing you or any group of supporters putting forward your views to Rangers or the SPL, whether they give you a hearing or take your views on board is another matter. For what it is worth, SDM agrees with you about a 10 team league, or at least he did a couple of years ago.

And a loaf of bread costs �£1.20.

We played the Romanian Champions last season and they had to borrow their dump of a national stadium because their own was a cowshed, but none of that has any bearing on whether or not Scotland can support a 16 team league.

Strange reply seeing as it's your argument...

In my opinion, there are a number of teams in the SFL with recent SPL experience and good enough stadia and decent levels of support e.g. Falkirk, Dunfermline, Dundee, Partick Thistle to make up a 16. Personally, I would prefer to see these teams once a year at Ibrox and visit them once year in the league rather than the present set up and overall I believe it would strengthen our football but it is all a matter of opinion. I respect yours.

Those are the teams I'd like to see joining the SPL too, but unfortunately there's very little chance of Dundee reaching the top 4 of the 1st division any time soon. With their failed appeal against the 25 point deduction they'll be lucky to avoid relegation.

Anyway, those are definately four teams that are capable of playing in a bigger SPL. It just amazes me that they're talking about going back to 10 teams. I've watched various news reports and listened to radio shows discussing the subject and there's far more people interested in our league being made bigger to allow some of those clubs to come up, than there are people interested in this 2 leagues of 10 nonsense.

Edited by Zappa
typo

I've watched various news reports and listened to radio shows discussing the subject and there's far more people interested in our league being made bigger to allow some of those clubs to come up, than there are people interested in this 2 leagues of 10 nonsense.

All I can say is watch this space for the survey results!