A Possible Explanation Of The Webster Mystery

I noticed the Webster Thread further down the Board, and remembered reading on Follow Follow a possible reason for the Webster no show at Rangers.

If it is allowed I will re-produce the post here, make of it what you will....

Rangers tried to sign Webster from Hearts in summer of 2006, but Romanov refused to allow it.

It was then decided to use a loophole in Article 17 of FIFA's Regulations, allowing him to cancel his contact with Hearts and sign for a Club in another country.

An agreement was then reached that he would go to Wigan for a few months, before coming to Rangers, as a way around the Romanov problem.

On 4 January 2007, he signed for Rangers on a 6 month loan deal, from Wigan.

Romanov complained to UEFA and FIFA about our loan deal, but they okayed it. However Romanov, refused to accept this and appealed the decision.

As a result, FIFA decided that he cancelled his contract with Hearts without just cause and without giving 15 days notice. He was ordered to pay Hearts �£625,000 compensation and suspended by FIFA for the 1st 2 games of the 2007/08 Season.

Webster expected Rangers to pay that fine, as part of the transfer, but they refused and he took the huff.

In Jan 2008, the Court of Arbitration for Sport decided on appeal to reduce his compensation payment to Hearts to �£150,000.

Rangers still did not pay that fine, Webster took a hefty hit and was raging at the Club's attitude.

The loophole in Article 17 was obviously not his idea and he possibly has a point. Apparently many within Ibrox sympathised with him, but it doesn't excuse his reluctance to play for 4 years.

He wasn't forced to leave Hearts and it's his fault he left without 15 days notice. He should've taken that up with his agent who'd have known what the terms and conditions of his contract were.

Did Rangers ever offer to pay any compensation to him prior to the court hearing?

From what I hear he was disliked by his fellow pro's in MP.

The timing of all this is relevant, I believe. I think Webster was wanted by PLG and agreed to join us via Wigan. Walter didn't want him, but Webster had put himself out for us and Rangers felt committed to take him.

After that, who knows? Possibly a combination of Chilledbear's theory, Webster's apparent lack of bottle and Walter not interested in him anyway.

Edited by Bluedell

It would explain being able to play so often for DU last season, I just don't believe the 'not got the bottle' theory, he has played in the EPL and for Scotland. We will see how often he plays for Hearts.

What I don't get if this explanation is correct, is why Rangers wouldn't pay, it seems a small amount for an international centre half.