Food for thought? [Xavi interview]

What a great read that was!

I loved what he said about training at Barca being all about one touch passing and awareness. He said they play piggy-in-the-middle to practice it and I'd love to see some of that introduced into our regime instead of just physical training. Training at Murray Park seems to consist mainly of working on mobility with running round dummies, jumping exercises, sprinting etc. It's all physical and there appears to be very little attention shown to working on the technical side of the game, ball skill, passing etc. A game of piggy-in-the-middle every day at training to practice one touch passing would be a great addition.

Yip and not just Rangers, Scottish football is all about skinning a dummy and sprinting to the other end. Very little ball work involved at all.

I was watching Denmark v England the other day and Denmark who are a tiny nation also were passing the ball about really well in the centre of midfield against players from the so called top league in the world. But the one thing i noticed was the movement of the players nearest the guy with the ball, all 3 or 4 were always on the move and making themselves available going forward. Ok Denmark lost the game but were the better team for the bits i watched.

Xavi comes across as a very classy guy.

I coach my son's U8 team and the one thing I am constantly trying to teach them is about movement and making space. Some do actually get it and make the proper angles to receive a pass, which is always pleasing.

You think Barcelona don't ever play teams that try to out muscle them? Both Spain and Barcelona have proven that technique beats power. Case in point, Spain v Holland, albeit last gasp.

That Spain v Holland game was shocking. A mouth-watering game on paper with a horrific outcome and it was Holland's fault. I'd actually have been happy for Holland to win if they'd done what they do best, but instead they tried to win it the ugly way and I was delighted for Spain to beat them.

Yip and not just Rangers, Scottish football is all about skinning a dummy and sprinting to the other end. Very little ball work involved at all.

I was watching Denmark v England the other day and Denmark who are a tiny nation also were passing the ball about really well in the centre of midfield against players from the so called top league in the world. But the one thing i noticed was the movement of the players nearest the guy with the ball, all 3 or 4 were always on the move and making themselves available going forward. Ok Denmark lost the game but were the better team for the bits i watched.

I didn't see the Denmark v England game, but when you watch good passing teams it's an eye-opener. You can see that even when a player doesn't make a move or a run for a possible pass, they're still anticipating it and when a ball is played into a space for them they're right on top of it. Some of our players do it occasionally, but more often than not they haven't anticipated the ball being played into that space and don't reach it early enough if at all.

We must be on of the worst passers in the SPL. We're outplayed and outpassed by many a team. Still, we're doing something right if we're sitting 2nd in the league with 2 games in hand. Or are we just getting lucky?

It is a sad day when teams like Hibs, St Johnstone and ICT outclass you on your home patch. Then there's Celtic who have passed us off the park the past 2 games against them at Ibrox. We're horrible to watch the majority of the time.

I doubt WS has a technical minded brain.

I tear my hair out at how static we are... There are definitely smaller teams that play better football than us, and if they actually had some technically good players, I'm pretty sure we would be struggling more than we are already. A lot of it is psychological in Scotland. I hope we improve today against Well...

We must be on of the worst passers in the SPL. We're outplayed and outpassed by many a team. Still, we're doing something right if we're sitting 2nd in the league with 2 games in hand. Or are we just getting lucky?

It is a sad day when teams like Hibs, St Johnstone and ICT outclass you on your home patch. Then there's Celtic who have passed us off the park the past 2 games against them at Ibrox. We're horrible to watch the majority of the time.

I doubt WS has a technical minded brain.

It would be some achievement to be below second in a 2 team league.

Alex 'Wank Stain' McLeish somehow manged it. Given the players he signed it's not too surprising.

I reckon Walter Smith is good at what he's good at. On the other hand, like most everyone else in this world, he's quite poor at those aspects of the job where he's got little or no skill and ability. We all know where his strengths and weaknesses lie but our real difficulty is whether to praise his strengths or condemn his weaknesses. Do you thank him for his contribution and achievements or do you pillory him for his failings?

Too many fans can only see one end of the Smith spectrum or the other. Either he's a hero or he's a villain, when in actual fact he's obviously neither. It's always going to be entirely subjective but I see Walter Smith as a manager of strictly average ability who has definitely made his mark on the history of Rangers but who has fallen well short of what could have been.

When he goes I'll thank him genuinely and wish him well ... bit I'll also be relieved at the opportunity his going will provide to address the shortcomings of his time in office. Rangers have not been blessed with good managers since Souness left. We've made do with men of very moderate ability and tried to convince ourselves it was otherwise .... but it wasn't and we mustn't pass up this next opportunity by passing the baton to Mr McCoist.