El Hadji Diouf - What an insufferable Boer!

It's been a couple of weeks now since the notorious Senegal forward joined Rangers on loan from Blackburn. Amidst a career of infamy - from spitting on mischief-making fans, to allegedly mocking injured players - it was no surprise to see the Scottish media jump on this transfer with unmitigated glee. A new villain of the piece was born and the usual hypocrites lined up to vent their spleen.

To be fair, it wasn't only non-Rangers fans giving the lad stick. Many bears were also worried about the transfer - not just in terms of the negativity circus the lad attracted but also football wise. In his thirties now, Diouf was surely past his best and just another expensive 'big name' has-been after the Beattie mistake of August's window?

Well, three games in and a slightly different picture has been painted from the one the detractors were so eager to depict. A tough d�©but against Hearts to start; an interesting main course versus Celtic to follow; finished off with a tasty Motherwell rout dessert; so far Diouf's influence has been a very positive one. In every game he's done very well; if still lacking in complete match fitness.

Creative, hard-working and with a great touch, the lad is simply a first class football player. Whether it be just behind a central striker, running the wide channels or doing the dirty work in defensive midfield, so far he's shown an appetite for the game which is refreshing and well worthy of praise. Indeed, the biggest compliment I can give him at the moment is that he reminds me of Ronald de Boer in the way he finds space, dictates attacks and brings others into play. Add in a field of vision we don't often see in Scottish football, then Diouf is a fine addition to our squad.

Nevertheless there has been an unsavoury aspect to his time in Scotland so far but ironically not from the man variously described as "a sewer rat", "a despicable human being" and "the most hated footballer in Britain". So far there have been a variety of outrageous tackles upon Diouf with hardly a whimper of contention from those who took umbrage at his signing. Add in the captain and manager of Celtic having their own less than dignified go at undermining Diouf's resolve; one wonders just how faulty some moral compasses are. I'm sure even a newcomer to Scottish football such as Diouf will be laughing at the double-standards of Scotland's self-righteous zealots.

Of course, any praise of Diouf is somewhat premature. With four Old Firm games still to come this season, a SPL title to decide and a declining European reputation to reverse; this season is far from finished and Diouf's contribution is sure to attract more controversy at some point; his fault or not.

Indeed, I don't doubt the worst is yet to come for Diouf given he's refused to buckle to the exaggerated attention placed on him so far. Let's hope he can maintain his composure ahead of even stiffer tests. If he can do the business in attack and ignore the school-yard cretins, I've also no doubt that we'll take great pleasure in continuing to call him an honourable (de) Boer in the summer!

:)

Good article. The main point covered, for me,is the one of him maintaining his composure. It is now obvious that he is going to be a target for the wind up merchants, Brown in particular.There is no doubt he has brought a touch of class to the team but it is imperative that he walks away from any incitement. He is a mature player and hopefully he uses this maturity to his advantage.

Good article. The main point covered, for me,is the one of him maintaining his composure. It is now obvious that he is going to be a target for the wind up merchants, Brown in particular.There is no doubt he has brought a touch of class to the team but it is imperative that he walks away from any incitement. He is a mature player and hopefully he uses this maturity to his advantage.

Absolutely but if the title was secured and we still had Celtic to play at Ibrox then if he felt he had to react to a late tackle, then so be it... ;)

Seriously, as you say, the wind-up merchants will try to draw him in in every game while he's here. So far, he's been fine but his past record doesn't stand up to great scrutiny so it will require extra effort from him to keep his eye on the ball.

As always, the best way to respond to such people is by sticking the ball in the pokey!

I have a feeling that much of the negative press that followed him to Rangers will, strangely enough, work in our (and EHD's) favour.

The negative furore has been highlighted so much and to such great lengths that it appears that EHD recognises the need to stay calm in the face of unmerciless hounding, and in fact seems to be revelling in taking everything in his stride.

Brown will no doubt try to wind him up again next week and if EHD stays as calm as he was last weekend then Brown could very well find that he is forgetting that a game of football is being played around him.

So far he gets an A+ in that regard. His level of play isnt much further behind either.

Yep, that's the way I'm looking at it Craig - Brown's behaviour of last week must surely be a huge motivation for the lads to do well on Sunday.

Their reaction against 'Well was very good but they'll need even more at the weekend. Bring it on - I can't wait! :cool:

I have a feeling that much of the negative press that followed him to Rangers will, strangely enough, work in our (and EHD's) favour.

The negative furore has been highlighted so much and to such great lengths that it appears that EHD recognises the need to stay calm in the face of unmerciless hounding, and in fact seems to be revelling in taking everything in his stride.

Brown will no doubt try to wind him up again next week and if EHD stays as calm as he was last weekend then Brown could very well find that he is forgetting that a game of football is being played around him.

So far he gets an A+ in that regard. His level of play isnt much further behind either.

Broon will to busy trying to get away from Big Bartley to try and wind Diouf up..........................HAW BROON,BIG BARTLEY IS GONNA MELT YOU ON SUNDAY:boogie:

#1 Story on Newsnow with almost 1300 hits already....

Why not put down your thoughts in article form for publishing on the main site? Have your opinion read by hundreds of people online on any Rangers subject!

Give me a shout if you fancy having a go! :spl: