I see he's been dominated by default for our POTY (In February!?) - and yet he's probably having the worst season since joining us.

It's well known that his form rather hibernates from time to time - goes through quiet periods of a month or 2 or even 3 then returns to form thereafter.

I don't know what it is this season, but he has at no point hit any of his usual purple patches, and has been rather lethargically going through the motions since July. He's been, in the last 8 months, at best mediocre.

Now, I'm a big fan of Davis and on his day he's one of our best players, but he's not had his day for a very long time.

I know Walter has his favourites, guys he won't drop, and Davis is one of them, but I fear such action is the only way to give him a boot up the backside and get him back to some sort of form.

Because right now, and most of this season, he's added little to the midfield. Ness/Bartley would be much better choices for Sunday.

He's a good player and one of our few real assets .... but he's also the type of player who needs a break from the action every now and then. He's not a player who can sustain form throughout an unbroken season and that's not insight, just simple observation. I've called him a lazy bastard on occasion but I doubt that's true. He'll turn out every week without complaint but his form will always dip unless rested from time to time. Just how he is.

One thing stuck with me about Davis from the game. He went in for a tackle, can't remember who against, and the ref blew for a foul against SD. Replay showed it was probably a foul, but could easily have been let go - it wasn't particularly blatant, dangerous or even severe. The camera focused on Davis and he just meandered away, not a peep to anyone and I thought 'Where's your fight?'. That's what stuck with from Sunday.

Davis has been the biggest disappointment for me this season - along with Bougherra.

They are both key players and, on form, there are no better players in their position in the country. However, this season I could count on one hand the good games they have had. Strangely enough Bougherra looked like he was coming back to some form in recent weeks but on Sunday simply could not cope with Samaras. His childish clapping of the official read like a plea to send me off - or at least book me so I can be suspended and absolve myself or more responsibility. It's not only his passport that has went missing this year!

As for Davis, well he's all about hard work, good reading of the game, incisive passing and provision of a goal threat. Sure he's still provided some assists this term but generally he looks a shadow of the player that we know he is. You're lucky if he gets in the opposition box more than once a game, his set-pieces/crossing are embarrassing and he also abdicates responsibility by reverting to right back (or passing to Davie Weir) whenever he can. Quite simply he doesn't look like he wants to be here.

Obviously, every player has had their faults this season and we should win and lose as a team but the under-performance of these two players is why we've not done the business lately.

Davis has been terrible this season, but he's not alone. Too many times he loses possession and makes no effort to track back or help out defence. I was getting really frustrated on Sunday when we lost the ball and you looked at our midfield who were sitting so far off Celtic it was unreal. Neither Edu, Davis or Bartley bust a gut to close them down and thats criminal. We play so much better when we press the opposition.