Scottish Police Federation call for an end to Old Firm games (or behind closed doors)

Beating up your wife/husband or assaulting anyone for that matter is a joke?

Fans of both clubs need to take a long hard look at themselves. It's only a game of football FFS. People seem to forget this!!

OF Games should be played with a 9pm kick off on a Monday, Tuesday or Wednesday night. All pubs should close at 6pm on the day of the match until opening the next day. When the supporters buses return from the game the licensed premises are shut so they'll be forced to go home sober!

Supermarkets ie Asda and Tesco etc should not be allowed to seel alcohol to anyone after 6pm on an OF matchday until 10am the next day.

By all means drink in the house there's not an issue with that but keep the shit behind closed doors.

There was zero trouble in Coatbridge last night because the game was midweek with an evening kick off. The majority of people had work the next day so went home at FT. Swap that for a weekend OF game where people are out drinking all day and night.

Honestly, it would work. :D

Gav, with all due respect, the old firm is never going to be "just a game," its bulit into West of Scotland society.

Now drink related trouble i can see is a massive cause of arrests, however - honestly how much of the recent trouble stems from the actions of that shitbag Lennon?

How many rangers fans watching that game in the pub last night would not be in a fit of rage with Lennon at the EHD and McCoist incidents?

We should be the bigger man, but you know thats never the case.

The police should be warning Celtic and HIM directly over his misconduct and inflammatory nature, yet nothing is said and he acts as if the world is against him, while at the same time rousing republican/Catholic sympathisers as if it has something to do with his football team. Allowing the Catholic church to have a say in Scottish football - WTF!?

There has in general terms or reported media in recent years not been the same amount of arrests after OF games, then that prick turns up with his attitude and the whole thing goes off like a bomb.

The players and managers inflamed last night. Both sets of players were firing in full blooded 'challenges', managers were going nuts at each other, and players were getting involved in the touchline and the tunnel.

The conduct of almost everyone involved was pretty awful, and it served to inflame the watching punter.

The players and managers were the trigger, the fans the bullet.

I think the police actually make money for those attending the stadiums, as that's paid for by the clubs.

Not the case.

Clubs decided not to fund the police for policing their home games.

The police then dramatically decreased the numbers of officers policing the games.

For example, on Saturday at Fir Park there were 20 officers who policed the game.

For a Motherwell v St Johnstone you're lucky if there's 2 officers in each stand plus the match commander plus the 2 cops out in the cell van assisting in taking any lifted punter back to the cells.

Its easily a society problem that idiots cant control themselves and act like adults, its not just OF fans Aberdeens lot are just as bad if not worse so should we ban those games also?

Yet SPL want to reduce the league to 10 which would create a bigger gap and we would end up playing each other in the cups more often. Increase the league to 16 or 18 you muppets and there will be only 2 OF league games a season.

According to SSN, 34 in total.

20 for "sectarian singing"

1 for "racial singing"

1 for breaking banning order

11 for folk being pissed

1 for physical assault.

Old Firm mayhem indeed

Those stats are incorrect.

Old Firm mayhem indeed.

Those stats are incorrect.

Old Firm mayhem indeed.

Out of interest, do we find out what these stats are? and how they were split between the teams?

I'm sure there are plenty idiots on our side that deserved it, I am not ashamed to admit that, just cos an idiot supports the same team does not mean I should support him, especially if he is shaming my team and myself as he sullies the name of Gers fans in the process. I just have this perception that the "crimes" of singing Gers songs is targeted more than singing Celtic equivalents, and singing is barely a crime... unless you count the x-factor/Britain's got talent stuff...

so is the Birmingham v Villa clash going to come under similar scrutiny ??

Last time they player there was a huge picth invasion, fans throwing missiles and flares being thrown at each other. not to mention running battle outside the ground and in city centre.

OTT response to this OF fxture, which is just adding to the tension. Next two games against them will be bedlam - but I genuinely believe the 'authorities' will want this, 'to prove a point'.