Nottingham Forest have signed Middlesbrough striker Kris Boyd on loan and allowed goalkeeper Paul Smith to move to the Riverside.

Both deals have been agreed until the end of the season.

Scotland international Boyd, 27, joined Boro from Rangers in the summer but has struggled to settle at the Riverside.

Smith, 31, is understudy to Lee Camp at the City Ground but has not played this season and injury-hit Boro were desperate to sign another keeper.

Jason Steele was hurt in Saturday's 5-2 defeat against Reading and Wales international Danny Coyne was already on the injured list.

This season I had written off because I never really got going at Middlesbrough.

Boyd, who was signed by previous boss Gordon Strachan, had been linked with a move in the January transfer window and has not started a game since 5 February.

His arrival at Middlesbrough in July was seen as being a key signing in the Teessiders' promotion push.

Boyd netted 26 times as Rangers won the Scottish Premier League title last season and in doing so overhauled Henrik Larsson's SPL scoring record of 158 goals to end his spell as the league's top all-time scorer with 164.

However, a return of six goals from 29 appearances has been a disappointment, although Boro's collective poor form and the departure of Strachan has been a factor in his struggle to settle in the Championship.

But Boyd is relishing the chance to bolster Forest's promotion bid after his brief Boro spell.

"This season I had written off because I never really got going at Middlesbrough," Boyd told BBC Radio Nottingham.

"Hopefully this will be a new start and I can help Forest get promoted.

"The most important things is to play well and help the team get promoted. I'm delighted to be on board and hopefully we're all smiling at the end of the season."

Boyd is available for Forest's game away against Sheffield United on Tuesday.

His departure to Boro was the beginning of the end of his career. He'll sink to the bowels of English football then eventually come back to some bottom rung SPL team. He was onto a damn good thing at Ibrox and his ego and greed got the better of him. Fool.

He may bounce back, but he's already starting the downward journey many predicted...

He just isn't a good player. His technical ability is nil, and while he was able to score plenty of goals in the SPL, the Championship is a much higher level.

It's no surprise he never scored in the CL, never scored against Celtic in a meaningful match, and indeed as far as I know I think he only ever scored one or two goals in the Uefa Cup. Against Livorno for PLG I seem to remember.

I wish I had an ounce of sympathy for him, but as soon as he started to hold us to ransom last January year, I went right off him and wish him only failure.

He just isn't a good player. His technical ability is nil, and while he was able to score plenty of goals in the SPL, the Championship is a much higher level.

It's no surprise he never scored in the CL, never scored against Celtic in a meaningful match, and indeed as far as I know I think he only ever scored one or two goals in the Uefa Cup. Against Livorno for PLG I seem to remember.

I wish I had an ounce of sympathy for him, but as soon as he started to hold us to ransom last January year, I went right off him and wish him only failure.

It's been done a million times I know but I couldn't not reply to this.

I don't agree he isn't a good player, he's certainly not a 'modern era' footballer just an old fashioned goal poacher. I reckon he would score for any team if they played to his strengths. He hardly played in the CL or europe for us and most of those would be from the bench so to say he never or hardly scored in them is certainly a bit unfair. The system walter used/uses certainly didn't suit him so he rarely played and usually came on when we were getting beat! Any goal/match against Celtic is meaningful is it not?

I am not that interested in his career since he's left us but I wish him all the best and hope he gets back on track but I doubt he will be scoring anything like what he did with us.

Forest have more chance of making the EPL, this actually might work out for him, plus working with Billy Davies. Not surprised Danny criticising him, I wish him the best but glad he has away from 'boro albeit for a few months.