Why the fans who sing songs of hate are committing an offence

http://www.heraldscotland.com/comment/herald-letters/so-is-it-now-policy-to-ignore-sectarian-and-racist-abuse-1.1093411

You have to register for that page so the comments are below:

Professor Tom Devine reminds us that the recent CIS Insurance Cup Final, pictured, was marred by the incessant discriminatory chanting of Rangers fans (Letters, March 29).

One of their hate anthems, The Famine Song, has been ruled as racist by an eminent judge. So what exactly was Justice Secretary Kenny MacAskill thinking of when he said that the game had been a “great advert for Scottish football”? And what was Assistant Chief Constable Campbell Corrigan of Strathclyde Police thinking when he stated that “the atmosphere at the ground was excellent and the match was a great advert for our football”?

Is it Government and police policy now to ignore sectarian and racist abuse? Or is it only anti-Irish racism and blatant anti-Catholicism that is allowed to be flaunted freely in Scottish football stadiums? I think we should be told.

James MacMillan, CBE,

Concertgebouw, Concertgebouwplein 10, Amsterdam.

The letter from Professor Devine explaining his involvement in a court case which saw the state unsuccessfully prosecute individuals under sectarian legislation for purportedly signing a song supporting the IRA was both interesting and succinct. He presents the case clearly, and the conclusion is logical.

What I hope motivated Prof Devine in putting this information into the public domain was a desire to demonstrate that the wrong legislation was used to prosecute these individuals. It would be very unfortunate if the case was wrongly interpreted as societal endorsement of public displays of support for any organisation which resorts to blowing up innocent human beings to further its agenda. This would undermine the civilised and democratic principles to which Professor Devine refers.

Against the background of Scottish/Irish religious and political history, no-one is better placed than Prof Devine to understand the sensitivities in the West of Scotland. He is absolutely correct to comment on the need for action to be taken against those whose singing is considered inflammatory, offensive and likely to give rise to public disorder.

Margaret Delussey,

7 Oakleigh Drive, Greenock.

I AGREE with Professor Devine’s statement that fans who sing “songs of hate” are committing an offence.

To sing songs abusing a religious leader or in support of a terrorist organisation should certainly come into the category of “songs of hate”.

The singing at football matches of offensive songs, be they racist, sectarian, abusive or political, has to be addressed comprehensively across the whole of Scottish football.

In order to make progress on that front there has to be a meeting between the football authorities, the clubs, the politicians and religious leaders.

Despite various offensive songs and chants there is only one song that has been banned. This is really quite incredible, given the repertoire of various supporters throughout the country about all sorts of things that could be deemed offensive to any given community or person.

The meeting must draw up a list of songs and chants that should be prohibited. The difficulty for clubs is that there is no clear definition of what is acceptable, so we have this sporadic controversy, usually following an Old Firm game, when the issue is raised again.

I have been a Rangers supporter for more than 50 years and implore my fellow supporters to stop singing songs that contain abusive language, or contain any offensive sectarian lyrics.

I also appeal to supporters of other clubs to reconsider songs and chants they have that cause offence to others and to stop these too.

Finally, once we have a clear agreement on what is not allowed then we need to agree a very clear disciplinary system that allows the football authorities to enforce penalties where required.

John Thomson,

Dumbarton Road, Partick.

Well said Margaret - boo to James McMillan!

This is actually becoming a pretty dangerous subject that could possibly ignite the IRA and UVF\UDA feud again. It maybe sound over dramatic but if Rangers supporters did start singing para-military songs because they are seen to be justified then there are always people willing to take things to the next level and of course there is still a smouldering mass just under the surface in NI. Songs of hate have to be prevented on both sides of the divide and it has to become clear what is and what isn't a song of hate.

Before reading that Scotsman article..... I just have to say.... Prof Tom Devine just somehow LOOKS like a Tim !!

It's in the genes. Thousands of years up to your arse in an Irish bog, grunting like pig, and along comes St Patrick offering a neep for a spot of bum banditry ... was the progeny of that ever likely to lead to a race of gentlemen and scholars? Only a thought of course but there's no historical proof I'm wrong. I mean, look at Gerry Adams and tell me that's not the result of catholic sex.