If the takeover goes ahead..

Do you think it will have the same impact on Scottish football that Murrays did all those years ago? The reason I ask as at 20 years of age I only know one thing, a David Murray Rangers. By the time I realised what football was and started to learn about the Rangers, Murray had already been at the club for a good number of years and we were well on our way to 9IAR. To be honest I missed just about everything that was good under Murray's ownership. By the time I was getting right into The Rangers it was the end of the Advocaat era and we were starting to downsize.

I'm just hoping that if Whyte signs on the dotted line he could at least bring half of the memories people got in the 90s. Obviously times are different nowadays and we aren't that big European club that we once were(ability wise) so even domestic success would do but with talks of 25m over 5 seasons it doesn't really fill me with confidence. Obviously anything is better that what we have currently and by the looks of things we aren't exactly in demand and it looks like alot people are getting carried away in my view.

Unless there are extra funds allocated for the 1st season I can see a big chunk of that 25m away just rebuilding the team unless a McGregor or a Bougherra are sold. Then you have the stadium that obviously needs work but it isn't urgent. There are all these numbers and I just don't see where they are all coming from. Obviously if he does keep to the 25m that he first originally proposed way back we will at least have some money to spend without having to offload players.

The reason I asked at the start whether he could make the same impact is because I quite can't honestly see it. I'm not getting on Craig Whytes back already as it's not exactley his fault and both situations are different. The Rangers' Murray took over were on their way up having been rejuvenated under Holmes and Souness meanwhile The Rangers Whyte looks to be taken over are on their last legs having been knocked to the floor a couple of times and got back up just.

All in all I think I'm just getting nervous and excited over the news and with it taking so long I have doubts. If Whyte signs on the dotted line I'd be delighted to finally see The Rangers get out of this dark spell. Whether he is the man to take us forward..I guess I will just have to wait and see.

I don't think it will. Things were different back then, English clubs banned from Europe, transfer fee's much, much lower. What I want a new owner to do is (a) stabilise the club (b) invest in the stadium © invest sensible amounts in the squad - year on year (d) develop youth further and (e) develop a backbone in the mhedia.

I agree with Stefanovich. It's a different era. Our staff costs in our 8IAR season were only �£11m for example (Laudrup, Gazza et al) and only 3 years later they had jumped to �£31m.

The impact of the Champions League, Sky money and the Bosman rule mean it's a totally different world.

Domestically it's a similar scenario with regards to success - 8 trophies in the last 4 seasons and a championship still to play for - I can't see it getting much better, so what impact can he make?

However, there are marked differences in that when SDM took over, Celtic were in crisis and had far less money than us - not true now. With most income coming from season tickets and merchandising we were one of the richest clubs in the UK and could compete with top English teams with players - more so when they were banned from Europe. It was quite an easy ride for SDM, especially as he took over an already very successful team with what was the best stadium in the UK at the time, with the biggest fan base as well.

I think where CW can make an impact is that with the more savage cuts that the bank want to bring in, we are not going to sustain any kind of challenge in Scotland or Europe for the near to medium future. Losing the reasonably large, glory hunting minority will make things much worse - plenty are already not renewing season tickets while we're winning double doubles. He can hopefully stop the inevitable decline and keep us challenging on an equal basis.

I can't remember when the Rangers pools stopped but back in the 60's-70's the Rangers pools was the biggest in GB even far bigger than Manu. We must have lost a lot of money when they fell through. Does anyone actually know why they stopped were the made illegal or something?

I can't remember when the Rangers pools stopped but back in the 60's-70's the Rangers pools was the biggest in GB even far bigger than Manu. We must have lost a lot of money when they fell through. Does anyone actually know why they stopped were the made illegal or something?

The biggest impact on the Pools was the National lottery. Our pools turned into the Rangers Lotto, which is still going, but now does the Rising Stars etc.

Just found this I didn't realise it was still going. I guess it is not in the same form as it was back then though. I see it is another Murray group business that has been taken away from Rangers.:sad:

http://www.murray-international.com/rangers_lotteries.htm

The Rangers Pools paid for the new stadium. The ironic thing is that legacy should have given us a massive financial advantage in the wake of the Taylor report - but not with Murray at the helm...