Craig Thomson will take charge of his third Old Firm derby of the season when he walks out at Ibrox on April 24. Pic: �©SNS Group

Craig Thomson will referee the final Old Firm derby of the season, which will take place on Sunday April 24 at Ibrox.

The official has already taken charge of two fixtures between Celtic and Rangers this campaign, most recently presiding over the Co-operative Insurance Cup final on March 24, which Rangers won 2-1 after extra time.

Thomson awarded Rangers a penalty during that match after Nikica Jelavic appeared to be fouled by Thomas Rogne, only to immediately change his mind and book the Croatian striker for simulation.

"It's dangerous for a referee to do that, very dangerous," Rangers boss Walter Smith said at the time. "If it had been in the other penalty box, I don't know.

"I just felt a wee bit aggrieved that Jelavic got booked because he gave a penalty and then he booked Jelavic.

"He must have thought himself there was something in the decision to give it in the first place. So it was strange, especially when there was a similar incident at the other end of the pitch.�

Thomson was also the referee when Celtic won 2-0 at Ibrox on January 2, in which Georgios Samaras scored twice.

Assisting Thomson will be Gordon Middleton and Tom Murphy, with Mike Tumilty the fourth official.

I hope he is not frightened into bending down to the tims as he was at that decision.

Very poor choice guaranteed he will try his best to get on of our players sent off.

Sent off two of our players against St Mirren in last year's CIS Cup final but decided Mulgrew wasn't denying a clear goalscoring opportunity the other week. Says it all!

For any gamblers out there,{Gribz}, the first player to be booked in most games this season has been a Rangers player,that bet looks even better for Sunday.

If McCulloch is available that would be my bet.

I dunno but I'm not a betting man so my bet would be futile.

TBH mate I can't say if that is a fact about Rangers players being first in the book,I haven't done any research,but I won't be far away with what I say and I mean Rangers players v any team.

Or maybe I am just paranoid.