Whyte can see a return in buying our club that no other Rangers supporting businessman can- the mans got to be a genius.............

My satire detection meter has just exploded... ;)

Well, I would ask those who say Whyte wants to buy us (or any other footie team for that matter) because he can make money with us: how? I've seen various statements by our supporters that Murray made millions out of us, but never got a decent reply as to: how? Anyone buying a football club (in Scotland) will only run up debts, no matter what. Unless he gets lucky ... like Timothy ... and sells players to Russia or England for inflated fees.

Well, I would ask those who say Whyte wants to buy us (or any other footie team for that matter) because he can make money with us: how? I've seen various statements by our supporters that Murray made millions out of us, but never got a decent reply as to: how? Anyone buying a football club (in Scotland) will only run up debts, no matter what. Unless he gets lucky ... like Timothy ... and sells players to Russia or England for inflated fees.

See my 'wringer' article of yesterday.

Like you, I'm sceptical as to where money can be made but some will argue club is being bought relatively cheaply and with a reasonable amount of investment into its infrastructure it could be sold quickly (3-5 years) at a decent profit - much like McCann did at Celtic.

That may or may not be true but I'd still ask who will want to buy the club when Whyte wants to sell. They're not queuing up now at a cheap price.

I've seen various statements by our supporters that Murray made millions out of us, but never got a decent reply as to: how?

There are lots of ways Murray made millions out of Rangers. The fact he lost most of it again isn't relevant.

How about when Ibrox was revamped with the club deck and filling in the corners, it was Murray's companies that supplied the steel and Murray's companies that did the construction work. There is the money made from the car parking, the catering and the ticketing - not to mention all those enterprises grew quickly due to the turnover from having guaranteed contracts with Rangers. Those avenues may not all be open to a new owner but it was lucrative to SDM.

However, the stadium does need some millions worth of renovation and there's bound to be a few avenues of income to pick up - even savings in areas like offices and conferencing for his businesses.

Then there is the intangible gains in wealth. As owner of Rangers during some very successful years, Murray had the sparkle of fame and celebrity about him - how many cogs and wheels of his business deals did that lubricate liberally? I would guess quite a bit. Do you sign the contract with the famous guy you see on the telly, who wines and dines you as a VIP guest at Ibrox before a big game while also introducing you to the manager and top international players, or do you go with Joe Bloggs Construction Ltd who took you for a nice curry? Our potential new owner has already gone from Craig Who, to a household name...

If the value of Rangers can be kept constant and the spending controlled so that year on year losses are not sustained then the intangible worth of owning Rangers starts to become apparent. Rangers have been paying back the debts at an extraordinary rate recently and so there is a possibility the club can be run on an even keel for say five years and sold for it's true worth - which by my reckoning would be around the �£50M mark.

However, most people are guessing the development of the Ibrox area will be where the real money is to be made in the future. The recession will bottom out in the not too distant future and the next boom is waiting patiently for exploitation.

PS I think it is a false premise to say that because there is not a queue of owners now while the price is low that there will not be in the future at a higher price.

If you look at property, it is difficult to sell at he moment as it is; however, it's much harder right now to sell properties in bad shape and in need of major development. They are snapped up in the boom but last to go in the bust. With not much spare money floating around at the moment and the threat of bankruptcy everywhere, it's not exactly the best time to take a punt on a football club.

You would imagine that Whyte will be the guy who does a "property ladder" on the club, rips it apart and gets it back into pretty decent shape - just in time for the recovery to be in full flow and spare money being in abundance.

When that happens, I think it's natural for most people to go for the nice, shiny, newly decorated houses or clubs in excellent condition, where you can move in without having to worry about doing anything for a while.

Thaks for the reply.

Ibrox being revamped by Murray companies ... fair enough. Then again, me as an objective onlooker would ask: someone would have done it anyways? The question would be: had they done it at a higher cost than Murray's companies?

Thaks for the reply.

Ibrox being revamped by Murray companies ... fair enough. Then again, me as an objective onlooker would ask: someone would have done it anyways? The question would be: had they done it at a higher cost than Murray's companies?

That is irrelevant to the initial question posed.

You asked "How did Murray make money" - it doesnt matter if it would have been done by someone else. Murray still made money.

It is also unlikely that the contract was put out to tender - so he wouldnt have had to go through that pricess either. No-one is saying that the lcub may not have benefitted but it is indisputable that Murray did.

If SDM made a profit on Ibrox renovations then it is still a profit due to being owner of Rangers whether it cost the club the same or not.

People make money from nepotism and cronyism - the fact that it might not cost the customer more doesn't change how they landed the contract.

What do you call nepotism when it's favouring yourself?