Wylde urges Weir stay

I know he is held in high regard by all of the playing staff as well as the coaching staff, but please Davie do they right thing and retire. It could taint your whole career here if you stay for another year and have a bad year and found out for lacking of pace.

Guest Scuba_87

To be fair we've said this every summer since he joined and every season he's proved us wrong, I'd be happy for him to stay in a playing capacity if last season was anything to go by

To be fair we've said this every summer since he joined and every season he's proved us wrong, I'd be happy for him to stay in a playing capacity if last season was anything to go by

I would agree.

It seems that some of us are not seeing the whole picture regarding Davie Weir last year. Yes, he started off slowly and Hooper burned him.... ONCE. But Hooper's first touch that day would have beaten almost ALL defenders.

Perhaps some of us are forgetting just how DOMINANT Davie Weir was for us in our last 8 or 9 games. I thought he played very, very well in the last quarter of the season.

My fear would be, like some, that he loses pace that he never had anyway with being a year older. However, his footballing brain really does more than make up for that - there arent that many strikers in the SPL who are lightning quick anyway, so I reckon Davie would be good to hold onto in a playing & coaching dual role.

What I would NOT want is for him to be playing every week - at 41 surely he wont be up to that. Europe... yep, would likely get found wanting in Europe - but sadly Europe really is nothing more than a bonus for us these days.

SPL=bread and butter - and Davie Weir more than held his own there last season, a couple of incidents aside.

Call me ageist, but I don't want a 41 year old playing for the first team. I'll be that blunt.

Which is your prerogative, of course. But be careful what you wish for... we could replace that 41 yr old with a "Loovens" or a "Svensson". I would take the 41 yr old Weir over any of that ilk.

Guest Dutchy

When I read the title of this thread, I feared for the worse. Don't get me wrong, Davy Weir has been exceptional for us since he came in, but he is definitely getting slower and in Europe and the winter months, it's easy to see.

I'd maybe like him to stay, but he's still got his house, wife and kids down south and Davie Moyes has apparently offered im a position on his coaching team. You'd think it would have to be one hellava special offer for him to stay, and to be totally frank about it, it's time for him to retire gracefully.

It's hard to tell what he will do, given what he's said himself about contiuing playing???

Which is your prerogative, of course. But be careful what you wish for... we could replace that 41 yr old with a "Loovens" or a "Svensson". I would take the 41 yr old Weir over any of that ilk.

I thought poor old Svensson got a raw deal. He never had a settled partner and never settled in. Sometimes he looked more than decent.