David Weir-Everton

Everton are understood to have made their pitch to land David Weir in a coaching role for next season.

The 41-year-old is out of contract at Rangers but has said he would like to play on next term, although that could depend on the level of offer he is made.

Weir left Goodison in January 2007 to join Rangers and, with his wife and family still in the north-west of England, there is huge temptation surrounding any coaching post back with his old club.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-1395022/Everton-offer-Rangers-veteran-David-Weir-route-Goodison-Park-coaching-role.html#ixzz1OYSBtFrh

I'd like to see SDOW stay on with us in a player/coach capacity

however I think the lure of being back with his family might prove too much,

If as has been reported he will be told he won't play as much next season is right.

If I am honest, I would like to see him leave with his head held high. He has done wonderfully overally at Ibrox, but we are making big changes and I feel his total departure should be one of them.

Would make an excellent defensive coach, role model, mentor and even worthy of coaching/teaching the youngsters on how to eat & drink properly (being he is 41 and still performing at a consistently high level).

However, the lure of his family means that if it were a choice between being a coach at Rangers or Everton, he would likely choose Everton.

Guest Dutchy

I've written about this before that Everton want him in a coaching capacity. Regardless of how much money he's offered, from Rangers, or Everton, he has a house down there and he has no intention of selling it. These words came from his own mouth in an article I read in a Sunday Supplement on peoples homes. They've done a lot of work on the house aparently.

I would expect him to move back down there in some capacity and a now and again playing career would not suit him either, as he was also saying last season that he wants to play as much as possible in order not to let the bones sieze up.

I would understand him leaving to be with his family and as previously mentioned should leave on a high. Would much rather be remembered as the captain of the Rangers squad who won 3 in a row instead of a bit part player.

Wilson, Whittaker and even Bougherra have shone when playing at centre half...the main reason IMO is who they were playing next to.

He has a lot to offer on the coaching side. So Id like to see a combined player / coach role. He steps in next season when we are short.