Was playing football the other night and met a guy, Juan who was very interested to hear I was Scottish. He loved Scotland and remembers the 78 WC well. He complemented Scotland very much saying how they played really nice attacking football and told me all Argentines are fond of Scotland because of this and 'We remember' which made me feel proud.

I wasn't even born at this time so any of the older lads ables to have some input on what the Scotland team was like back then?

Seems like a golden age now...Dalglish, Gemmell, Souness were probably the most famous...certainly Gemmell for the goal he scored against Holland which will always be remembered. Then you had the English based players who were all first picks for their teams....Bruce Rioch, captain, Don Masson, Asa Hartford, Kenny Burns, Lou Macari, Martin Buchan (who I think was the Man Utd captain at the time) Partick Thistle's Alan Rough in goal (with his dodgy perm)...trying to think without googling who the Rangers players in the squad were. Sandy Jardine, i think was one. Derek Johnstone famously was in the squad, he'd just scored 30+ goals for a treble winning Rangers team but somehow never got picked for the 3 games Scotland played. Also Willie Johnston was part of the team... a former Rangers player who was with WBA at the time...unfortunately, he failed a drug test and was sent home in disgrace which kinda summed up the whole depressing experience for Scotland.

Alas was it ever thus...the team we had looked great on paper but just couldn't deliver when it came to the games...1-1 with Iran was a particular horror story.

Wer'e on the march wi Allys army...........................About the only time I think a lot of Scottish fans actualy believed we were going to win the WC!!!,tell you what though it was some team and I do remember thinking we've got a chance..!!!!,disaster,but probably the best Scotland team in my time,IMO.

Glorious failure yet again Beat Holland and lose to poorer opposition. However wasn't the manager sort of saying we do well in that world cup? The English seem to love saying iirc. It was 9 years before I was born.

A total random Argentinian added me on Facebook today - big Rangers fan apparently. I think he's been adding a lot of us.

If that's the guy who's the geopolitical writer he added me on twitter a week or so ago. I wasn't sure how I knew him.

Anyway, can't say I remember the '78 world cup very well as I was still playing with action man and a death slide at the age of 5. :D

I remember the next World Cup pretty well though! Fucking Brazilian show offs! :(

If that's the guy who's the geopolitical writer he added me on twitter a week or so ago. I wasn't sure how I knew him.

Anyway, can't say I remember the '78 world cup very well as I was still playing with action man and a death slide at the age of 5. :D

I remember the next World Cup pretty well though! Fucking Brazilian show offs! :(

It's the 1978 WC we are on about,not the 1974 WC:whistling:

Qualifying for WC's back then was easy....a bit like sellik winning big ears....Scotland had a lot of players playing in England and with the top teams, changed days indeed....guys like Adam and Fletcher and the rest would NEVER had reached the squad back then.