Whyte plans retail and leisure development

RANGERS boss Craig Whyte has revealed his sensational masterplan to transform Ibrox stadium into a stunning retail and leisure development.

In an exclusive interview with the News of The World, the new chairman spoke about his plans for a complex to rival top clubs in Europe.

His vision includes a luxury hotel, shopping centre, restaurant, sports centre, and upmarket apartments.

Whyte revealed he has already had talks with Glasgow City Council chiefs and wants to get work started ahead of the Commonwealth Games in 2014.

Last night Motherwell-born Whyte, 40, told us: "We see a mix of retail, hotels, leisure and residential.

Man with the plan...Craig Whyte

"This area needs to be revitalised and we hope to make some progress before the Games."

Under the plans, the 40-acre site around the Govan stadium would be turned into an Ibrox village. Whyte (left) is also adding state-of-the-art stadium screens and opening fast food outlets.

He said: "Refurbishment has already started. We are working on the fast food outlets now and expect to sign a contract to have new mega screens installed shortly."

The life-long Gers fan wants to keep 50,000-capacity Ibrox's reputation as one of the best stadiums in Europe. The red-brick facade, designed by Archibald Leitch, is one of the most iconic in football.

But Whyte envisions a future development to rival that of European Champions Barcelona's prestigious Nou Camp sports and retail complex. He added: "There will be an ongoing process of upgrading Ibrox to ensure it retains its status as one of the best stadia in Europe."

It's all part of a series of changes being implemented by Whyte, who this week appointed ex-Gers star Gordon Smith as Director of Football.

News Of The World

Can we get a good ticket office back also? :)

Whilst Id welcome any plans for revenue, David Murray had plans for the stadium expansion for years but it only got as far as Bar 72 in the Govan. The stadium needs a bit of work done on it (although did someone on here mention that is underway??). Would still like to see the corners filled in with seats.

Whilst Id welcome any plans for revenue, David Murray had plans for the stadium expansion for years but it only got as far as Bar 72 in the Govan. The stadium needs a bit of work done on it (although did someone on here mention that is underway??). Would still like to see the corners filled in with seats.

Going by story mate new big screens going back in and the concourse work already started I agree the old lady looking a bit tired but whyte seems determined to get the place sparkling again we can only hope.

Guest Dutchy

I've spoken about this before in another thread, but I just don't see the point of these large screens. I'd much prefer to watch the game and they don't allow replays, so what is the poin of them?

Also, if we manage to get access to screening the first European game that the fans are banned from, it would be much better to hire one large one, or two at an angle to each other in the centre of the stadium. I'm sure they could recoup that cost and we'd save lots by not having to maintain these silly screens.

On the other points, the area could certainly do with some investment.

yeah it was me. I go up some tuesdays to Argyle house for lunch with family. They had given Copland and Broomie a paint job. I was told two months ago (and posted on here) That the catering company that have the contract at Ibrox were spending �£1.7million on doing up the kiosks and concourses

I've spoken about this before in another thread, but I just don't see the point of these large screens. I'd much prefer to watch the game and they don't allow replays, so what is the poin of them?

Also, if we manage to get access to screening the first European game that the fans are banned from, it would be much better to hire one large one, or two at an angle to each other in the centre of the stadium. I'm sure they could recoup that cost and we'd save lots by not having to maintain these silly screens.

On the other points, the area could certainly do with some investment.

They don't allow replays for one reason, decisions. Did you see the Mexico vs Argentina game at the world cup? Mexico players saw the footage on the big screen straight after the goal this shouldn't have happened as such there was mass hysteria to the linesman and the ref who saw it but couldn't change their mind either.

I don't mind the big screens but they need to be working but they do need to be moved around a bit because they are a little large.

Guest Dutchy

I know why they don't allow replys, that's why I'm saying they're pointless.

In fact, when I was a regular at Ibrox in the 90's(70's before that), they didn't even allow European games to be shown.

If they want to improve viewing facilities at Ibrox, they'be much better improving the screens in the concourses as I missed Davies' goal during the Hearts 4-0 game. The bloody screens only go so far and once the queue moves on, you see nothing.

I know why they don't allow replys, that's why I'm saying they're pointless.

In fact, when I was a regular at Ibrox in the 90's(70's before that), they didn't even allow European games to be shown.

If they want to improve viewing facilities at Ibrox, they'be much better improving the screens in the concourses as I missed Davies' goal during the Hearts 4-0 game. The bloody screens only go so far and once the queue moves on, you see nothing.

They are doing up the concourses, it’s a complete overhaul down there mate

Guest Dutchy

Yeah, but I've not got any details in what they intend doing, but I had thought is was mainly the catering that was getting the bulk of the overhaul. Still, it they're going to do more than a lick of paint to the concourses, then let's hope the screens are positioned better.

It still doesn't change my view that the big screens are pointless.