Ally's first month or so in charge

He's basically been the boss for about a month now, and of course we cannot judge him on the pitch for another month yet, but I think it's safe to analyse how we feel he's done in transfers, negotiations and media performances. As people who pour our love and support, not to mention cash, into the club, we have that right.

For me, it's a very mixed batch. I am pleased that Steven Davis and Allan McGregor's contracts are being given such high priority, and that 'not for sale' signs have been firmly plastered over their heads, particularly McGregor, especially in light of Lennon publicly admitting that even Kayal is for sale at the right price.

We want to keep our best players, and Ally doesn't appear interested in the vast sums of cash selling McGregor would give his transfer kitty. For that I applaud him.

I am also pleased we're so active in the transfer market - it's clear we're trying to bring in a lot of reinforcements, and a lot of the names we're linked to seem pretty decent and an enhancement - it's just a bit of a pity we've not made any actual signings yet and there's nothing to get tangibly thrilled about at this point.

I'm sure Ally is working around the clock to make it happen though, and signings can be a slow process, so hopefully we'll have something to cheer soon.

My main 2 reservations are, firstly, him publicly saying that we won't go to 3M for Cuellar, where Cuellar is quite clearly worth that kind of money. He has 3 years of top flight experience on top of the class we sold in the first place, and would be a fantastic addition to the team. I have no doubt Ally wants him, but I felt saying, very specifically, that 3M was too much, was something I didn't want to hear. 'Negotiations are ongoing' would have been much better.

Secondly his manlove for Whittaker seems bizarre. He's apparently appraised Whittaker as one of our 4 top players. If he really believes that, I have doubts about his judgement. He wants to keep him at all costs, and regardless of who is doing the negotiations, �£20k+ is far too much for a player who is usually average and sometimes quite good.

My early feelings about Ally are mixed, some good, some not so good. The last time I had a serious objection to something a new manager did after joining was PLG and him letting Soti go so quickly - I trusted him because I rated him but I am not making that same mistake again. I have serious objections about some things Ally seems to be doing and I just hope I am totally wrong this time.

I don't trust him yet, and I hope he gives me and others good reason to begin to earn that trust in the coming months.

With regard to Whittaker being one of our top 4 players, and I know we all have our own opinions, but it can be a struggle to name 4 ahead of him.

McGregor

Jelavic

Naismith

Davis

Thereafter we really do have a hodge podge of performers (ignoring the ever steady Sir David of Weir due to age) - some steady and consistent performers such as Papac, to the better, but inconsistent, players such as Bougherra (who already wants away), the injury prone in Broadfoot, to the intriguing youngsters in Ness, Wylde and Hutton.

Much as though I could never, ever see Whittaker being worth 20k a week, I can kind of see why McCoist would consider him one of our most important players - his versatility, and the fact he is rarely injured, means he is effectively two players in the squad - he can play either full-back role, midfield and, indeed, impressed considerably at CB when called upon last year.

I also dont see the infatuation with rewarding him quite so extensively, but I can see why McCoist would consider him one of our most important players.

His first month has a been rather uninspiring lmo.

I agree, nothing has happened for me, he has been away for at least 2 weeks of being in charge iirc, hopefully everything is pushed on now. The only thing is Whittaker being a disappointment, although I agree Whittaker isn't worth �£20k a week, Bursaspor has turned his and his agents head, very poor show.

My main 2 reservations are, firstly, him publicly saying that we won't go to 3M for Cuellar, where Cuellar is quite clearly worth that kind of money. He has 3 years of top flight experience on top of the class we sold in the first place, and would be a fantastic addition to the team. I have no doubt Ally wants him, but I felt saying, very specifically, that 3M was too much, was something I didn't want to hear. 'Negotiations are ongoing' would have been much better.

He did indeed seem like total class when we sold him. He had just had an amazing season including a run to the UEFA Cup final. He played for us 64 or 65 times that season and scored a handful of goals as well. We weren't surprised at all that Villa were willing to spend over �£7.5million on him.

Having said all that, his move to Villa is where his story changes and takes a turn for the worse. You're saying he has 3 years of top flight experience on top of the class we sold in the first place, but it's actually more like he's had 3 years of struggling to get a game in his proper position for Villa and being played out of position at right back because he couldn't cement a regular place in central defence. Ok, so he has played for them in central defence, but still... 3 seasons down there and he's only made about 75 league appearances, just over 90 in all competitions. That's 90 appearances in 3 seasons when he made 65 for us in 1 season. He got a good number of games in his second season down there, but last season he really struggled to get a game and only started 10 games in the league.

Maybe Ally shouldn't have said that we won't go to �£3m for Cuellar in public, but I can understand why we wouldn't be spending that much on him, especially if Ally's budget isn't actually very big, but I've said that before.

Agree with your points there Danny. On the point of Cuellar i don't think there was any point what so ever in coming out and saying we won't go to 3mill. It's a dangerous game to play. He's working on the assumption that because the player has publicly stated he wants to return, that it's a quick problem solver of Villa to get an unwanted player off the book (if he is indeed unwanted). Also i'm pretty sure we could pay the 3mill but it's just a bit of jostling, the fee won't make it to that. However Mccoist saying that for me implies that we are skint and doesn't look good.

The Whittaker situation for me is more worrying. Already it seems Whittaker and his scumbag agent have our manager by the balls and calling the shots. So Ally has already lost control of the situation. As soon as Whittaker knocked back the last offer we should have fucked him off. He's been made a more than fair offer/s and can't be seen to hold us to randsome.

My other slight concern is Mccoist jumping the gun on players joining. We've alread had egg on our faces with that Tomer and now the same seems to be happening with Danns. Just need to be a little more elusive when asked stuff like that by the gutter rags.

Rest of what he's done i'm happy with although i'm super suprised that he went to Argentina, saw X amount of games and isn't pursuing anyone. Seems very strange to me that.

Smacks a little bit of panic and also a little ridiculous. Just how can you ask people to judge a manager in the close season when there's been no football, when the transfer window has only been open a short time and most people in football, including the manager in question, have been on holiday.

Much of what people would be judging him on at this time would actually be the actions (or inaction) of the chairman and others directly involved in the transfer dealings.

He did indeed seem like total class when we sold him. He had just had an amazing season including a run to the UEFA Cup final. He played for us 64 or 65 times that season and scored a handful of goals as well. We weren't surprised at all that Villa were willing to spend over �£7.5million on him.

Having said all that, his move to Villa is where his story changes and takes a turn for the worse. You're saying he has 3 years of top flight experience on top of the class we sold in the first place, but it's actually more like he's had 3 years of struggling to get a game in his proper position for Villa and being played out of position at right back because he couldn't cement a regular place in central defence. Ok, so he has played for them in central defence, but still... 3 seasons down there and he's only made about 75 league appearances, just over 90 in all competitions. That's 90 appearances in 3 seasons when he made 65 for us in 1 season. He got a good number of games in his second season down there, but last season he really struggled to get a game and only started 10 games in the league.

Maybe Ally shouldn't have said that we won't go to �£3m for Cuellar in public, but I can understand why we wouldn't be spending that much on him, especially if Ally's budget isn't actually very big, but I've said that before.

tbh your points about how he's fared make sense on one side of the coin, but on the other is the fact that Villa were extremely poor last season under Houllier who famously wouldn't give certain players like Ireland a chance. They've been badly managed since MON left.

Let's face it, if he'd been playing every game he wouldn't have any interest in returning. But it doesn't automatically go that because you don't play very often, you're not very good. Look at my Man City thread in the other section.

And as a closing nugget, every one of us would run naked on the turf at Celtic Park to have Hutton return, but he's just been voted Spurs worst RB of the last decade.

How players do in England isn't always an indicator of how good they are.

Smacks a little bit of panic and also a little ridiculous. Just how can you ask people to judge a manager in the close season when there's been no football, when the transfer window has only been open a short time and most people in football, including the manager in question, have been on holiday.

Much of what people would be judging him on at this time would actually be the actions (or inaction) of the chairman and others directly involved in the transfer dealings.

How can I ask? With great ease. And guess what? People are answering with valid comments and analysis. So suck on it :D