Ally's first month or so in charge

Well I'll admit it would have been nice to have a couple of new faces in but with pre-season starting now I think you will see a bit more activity in the transfer market. There's always a bit more urgency with the start of the season fast approaching. If we don't have anyone in by the first game of the season then I would be concerned but I'm not worried at the moment.

One thing I would like to see stop is Ally and Mr Whyte coming out with any more stuff in the papers. Mr Whyte is laid out his intentions so the time for talking has stopped and we now have to see some action.

I said before the weekend that I hoped to see at least one new face today. And I wake up to hear Cuellar's wages are too high for us, Neil Danns is going to Leicester, and Arsenal are going to make us wait a month before deciding Bartley's future.

Ally is really struggling at the moment to sign anyone - I'm not exactly sure why.

I'm comfortable enough at the moment.

Conway, Hemed and Danns won't have been first choice targets IMO - more probably seen as potential free signings on the cheap with reasonable wages. Unfortunately, they can get better wages elsewhere so we lose out. C'est la vie.

Where I do have a problem is with the Cuellar and Goodwillie links. I don't think Cuellar will be possible financially and I also think Goodwillie is 'legally' very risky indeed. Moreover, while I'd take Bartley and/or Wilson and/or Weiss back in a heartbeat, these deals will probably last minute if they happen at all.

Thus, with 4 weeks to go until the new season starts, the clock is ticking. I'm pretty certain we'll have more targets, so McCoist and Smith just need to establish what is possible before then - in tandem with what could be possible as the window closes in August.

Guest hurricane_dj

I don't see how people can judge McCoist at the minute it is only his job to identify targets it is up to the owners to provide that investment. If judging Whyte at the moment I would say fair enough he has been open with the fans but it is time for them to shut up and give McCoist the investment needed to allow us to compete on all fronts next season. It is just over 3 weeks till the season begins and we only have 12 or 13 first team players supplemented with 7 inexperienced young players which is not enough for a club competing for Championships and Cups, certainly when last season with an extra 5 players than at the minute we couldnt always fill the bench.

I can't be the only one getting slightly pissed off now that we have missed out on yet another 'target' The Title of the thread is wrong. Ally will be judged on results. Mr Whyte on the other hand is another story. He seems to talk a good case but I have yet to see any evidence of money being parted with. We still need at least 6 new faces IMO. At the minute nothing has changed to the previous summers when we had no money whatsoever

IMHO, we've been made looking like loosers by the press, since we are not even able to thwart off the challenges of 17th-placed La Liga teams, Leicester or Cardiff, right? Fills you with doubt and dispair, doesn't it?

We are no longer attractive, Ally is no big name in the game, we apparently have no real money about and Whyte might be uncovered as the penny-pincher like some promised.

Tell you what, next year is 2012 and according to the Maya calendar, the above won't matter anyways.

To believe in those points above takes the same willing suspension of reason though ...

Good summary Danny.

For the Cuellar comment I can only assume this is a misinterpretation and its more of a case of 'we wont use 3 mill of the budget on player' rather than Cuellar isnt worth 3 mill.

Agree the Whittaker situation is bizarre except from a point of view where you need home grown players. We MIGHT struggle to get a better Scottish full back although id have Foster and broadfoot at RB before Whittaker. Before Broadfoots injury he was coming onto a good game and his performance at Old trafford last season was excellent.

Im not worried about missing out on targets like Danns, Ive never heard of the guy. Im comparing that one to missing out on Eagles last year - and what has he done since?

On a sidenote ... Walter Smith took over on April 16th 1991, after Souness desided to go to Liverpool. Walter made his first plunge into the transfer market (no window back then, remember) on June 27th 1991, signing Andy Goram. Maybe we give Ally another day or two, shall we?