2011/12 Rangers Squad

Guest Dutchy

No 9 for Jelavic would be ideal.

Can't wait to see when all these now numbers come out. Is there any set date for them to be released?

Not 1 of the worst mate but I still think LB is a position that we could improve. No doubt that Sasa has been a great servant to the club though. He could do with some competiton for his place, which might improve him even more.

I think Ortiz will provide some competition for Sasa. He's not really tall enough for an SPL defender IMO and he'll probably be played on the left or right of midfield, but he's definitely capable of playing full back on either side as well because he played full back most of last season in La Liga.

So there is a lot of panic-mongering about, is there not? Let's have a look at what we have right now then ...

Bold folk would be nigh certain starters, italiced people would always be ready to come in and play, or be starters too, pending on the game at hand. This is a basic 4-4-2.

McGregor

Alexander

Adam

Whittaker -- Bougherra -- Weir -- Papac

Cole -- McMillan -- x x x x -- Broadfoot

Ortiz -- Davis -- McCulloch -- Naismith

Little -- Edu -- Ness -- Wylde

x x x -- Hutton -- Fleck -- Kerkar

Jelavic -- Lafferty

Beattie -- Healy

Hemmings -- x x x x

Quite a few of them like Whittaker, Broadfoot, Edu, Ortiz, Little and Naismith can play in a variety of positions. Some would not be in my starting eleven (e.g. McCulloch), but that is not the point here.

IMHO, people hoping for half a dozen more players should think again. We do need to add some quality and flair, but the base squad for at least the start of the SPL is there. That said, I wouldn't mind a half a dozen new faces either ...

Edited by der Berliner
Forgot Fleck ..

Agree with that. Papac is a good performer but if there is a better option Id go for it. He is steady and doesnt let us down and does come out with the odd top performance. But 5 years down the line he will fit into the 'ok' bracket of former LB's like the 3 V's - Vidmar, Vanoli and Vignal. Davie Robertson, Arthur Numan and maybe even Frankies old fave Stuart Munro have set the standards for LB.

Certainly not as good as Numan, but clearly better than Vanoli and Vignal for me. Vidmar may be up for debate.

Guest Dutchy

From what I've been reading from the German tour reports, we're not playing 4-4-2, but pretty much the same one up front technique of WS, and we're losing miserably at that.

Bold folk would be nigh certain starters, italiced people would always be ready to come in and play, or be starters too, pending on the game at hand. This is a basic 4-4-2.

McGregor

Alexander

Adam

Whittaker -- Bougherra -- Weir -- Papac

Cole -- McMillan -- x x x x -- Broadfoot

Ortiz -- Davis -- McCulloch -- Naismith

Little -- Edu -- Ness -- Wylde

x x x -- Hutton -- Fleck -- Kerkar

Jelavic -- Lafferty

Beattie -- Healy

Hemmings -- x x x x

Quite a few of them like Whittaker, Broadfoot, Edu, Ortiz, Little and Naismith can play in a variety of positions. Some would not be in my starting eleven (e.g. McCulloch), but that is not the point here.

IMHO, people hoping for half a dozen more players should think again. We do need to add some quality and flair, but the base squad for at least the start of the SPL is there. That said, I wouldn't mind a half a dozen new faces either ...

One of my major concerns for the coming season is the age of a core section of our defensive capability. The 3 players I've highlighted in red have been important players for us over the past few seasons, but they aren't getting any younger. They're combined age is 105, so the average age of the three of them is 35 and personally, I think all three of them are past their peak as footballers. This seriously concerns me because playing with a back four and McCulloch sitting in front, we essentially have a defensive block of 5 and I honestly think the 3 older players in that 5-man block are it's weakness.

I'm not slagging the guys off because they've been part of our successful team, but those 3 older players along with the likes of Edu and Broadfoot are players I think we need to replace between now and August next year. Unfortunately, to replace them with the required quality really won't be cheap. That's why I think it's seriously important that we get through the coming qualifiers and into the CL group stage because that CL tv money isn't to be sniffed at by any means. You're talking about 7 million minimum in TV money alone.

I feel we need a left back with the look or Berliners squad lineup and replacement. Papac needs competition maybe that is why we are going for Wallace? Still not sure about Wallace. Also Papac is a young pup compared to Davie Weir. Beattie needs to be removed as well.

Another concern I have is Bougherra running down his contract and leaving on a free because that'll be yet another key player along with Papac who we'll need to find money from somewhere to replace next summer.

I feel we need a left back with the look or Berliners squad lineup and replacement. Papac needs competition maybe that is why we are going for Wallace? Still not sure about Wallace. Also Papac is a young pup compared to Davie Weir. Beattie needs to be removed as well.

Aye, that's definitely why we were looking at Wallace mate. Papac is 10 years younger than Weir, but I think we've seen the best of both of them tbh.