Ally McCoist's acknowledgement we need players quickly

What does mushroomed mean?

In this case I'd imagine it means expanded quickly to the point of having a swollen squad by buying loads of players, but maybe they're talking about picking shrooms. :)

No shit Ally, we need new players quick. I appreciate the "not been held to ransom stance" but i am very disappointed with the severe lack of activity on the transfer market.

Its all very well telling us you have 6 or 7 players on the radar but the truth is you should have had new players in the squad before you went to germany.

I fear we will struggle in the first quarter of the season. Its a tall order to expect any signings we make to walk straight in to competitive matches from the minute they arrive.

We really should have been quicker off the mark here. i hope ally hasnt made a rod for his own back before weve even kicked a ball.

Edited by gisabeer

Guest Dutchy

He's just repeating what everyone knows, that we need players, and fast.

I don't think it will make much diffirence. Or, it could make as many positives as negatives. It could alert Wegner and McLiesh to start thinkingabout what it is that they want to do with the players that are wanted by us, as well as Bursa types saying we need a big transfer.

I'd say Ally is a new manager and as much as he could have learned from WS, he's now having to do it for himself, and that can be daunting. I'm sure he's just not looking a 'cock-sure' as we all know him to be and if he gets some players in, we win a few games, everything may settle down nicely.

Alternatively........... well, we can worry about the alternatives at an alternative time!

He's just repeating what everyone knows, that we need players, and fast.

I don't think it will make much diffirence. Or, it could make as many positives as negatives. It could alert Wegner and McLiesh to start thinkingabout what it is that they want to do with the players that are wanted by us, as well as Bursa types saying we need a big transfer.

I'd say Ally is a new manager and as much as he could have learned from WS, he's now having to do it for himself, and that can be daunting. I'm sure he's just not looking a 'cock-sure' as we all know him to be and if he gets some players in, we win a few games, everything may settle down nicely.

Alternatively........... well, we can worry about the alternatives at an alternative time!

Good point. There is always the chance that he's essentially saying "We will be buying players soon, if you are just holding out to see how far we'll go there's a chance you'll lose a few million for a player you're not going to play".

We should perhaps get used to the Whyte way instead of the Murray way of negotiating.

Murray was, until his wallet got stuck, Mr Moneybags. He bought what he wanted, when he wanted. Money no object.

CW, on the other hand, has already shown us during the takeover that he has tenacity, is skilled in brinkmanship, and is determined to strike the best deal possible - or walk away.

I may be proven wrong, but I think we'll end up with the squad depth we want, and the quality we want. But it will be on CW's terms.

Then it's up to Ally.

We should perhaps get used to the Whyte way instead of the Murray way of negotiating.

Murray was, until his wallet got stuck, Mr Moneybags. He bought what he wanted, when he wanted. Money no object.

CW, on the other hand, has already shown us during the takeover that he has tenacity, is skilled in brinkmanship, and is determined to strike the best deal possible - or walk away.

I may be proven wrong, but I think we'll end up with the squad depth we want, and the quality we want. But it will be on CW's terms.

Then it's up to Ally.

I think you're right, and while it may be hard in the short term, the club will benefit in the long term. What we really need in these times, is the best value squad we can amass for the money we earn. If that means missing out on player after player, then so be it. The early bird catches the worm but it's the second mouse that gets the cheese...