Ally McCoist's acknowledgement we need players quickly

What does everyone think of Ally McCoist's public acknowledgement we need players quickly? Obviously it's pretty much common knowledge and this'll help other clubs hold out for a higher fee than we are perhaps willing to play. Does publicly playing it up worsen this situation - showing our hand a little too much - or do you reckon it's pretty much immaterial what he says?

I'm seeing a lot of criticism of Ally's regime so far - various aspects of it seem to be gathering more and more objections. I mean, your thread strongly suggests that you're not happy with him being so open, but you're trying to be fair and impartial and asking it as a neutral question.

fwiw Walter said exactly the same thing when the players came back to Ibrox from Killie - which he would never have said while in charge. Which, frankly, he never did say while he was in charge.

Ally's management style is polar opposite to Walter's - and he's going to be judged on that because Walter is what we're used to.

Should he have said it? Well he's always been extremely open with the press - maybe too open. That was never going to change. But as I've always said, we complained when we weren't being communicated with by the club, and now we're getting everything.

My personal opinion is it's good to know the manager recognises the problems we can see as fans. Often they don't. But the only way we'd ever realise he recognises these problems would be if he told us. Otherwise it's conjecture in the terraces, pubs, and forums like this.

I'm seeing a lot of criticism of Ally's regime so far - various aspects of it seem to be gathering more and more objections. I mean, your thread strongly suggests that you're not happy with him being so open, but you're trying to be fair and impartial and asking it as a neutral question.

Either that or I actually am asking it as a fair and impartial question.

fwiw Walter said exactly the same thing when the players came back to Ibrox from Killie - which he would never have said while in charge. Which, frankly, he never did say while he was in charge.

Ally's management style is polar opposite to Walter's - and he's going to be judged on that because Walter is what we're used to.

Should he have said it? Well he's always been extremely open with the press - maybe too open. That was never going to change. But as I've always said, we complained when we weren't being communicated with by the club, and now we're getting everything.

My personal opinion is it's good to know the manager recognises the problems we can see as fans. Often they don't. But the only way we'd ever realise he recognises these problems would be if he told us. Otherwise it's conjecture in the terraces, pubs, and forums like this.

He has to do things differently to be his own man. The thing I'm most interested in is if people think comments like these actually affect the real world of transfers and fees.

What does everyone think of Ally McCoist's public acknowledgement we need players quickly? Obviously it's pretty much common knowledge and this'll help other clubs hold out for a higher fee than we are perhaps willing to play. Does publicly playing it up worsen this situation - showing our hand a little too much - or do you reckon it's pretty much immaterial what he says?

Ally is doing too much talking to the Mhedia Rhags imo, he may be getting mis-quoted or twisted either or i would rather ally identify targets get the business done and do the talking on our Official Rangers Media outlets talking about our signing. Never known any Rangers Manager discuss as many signing targets as ally in public. We are getting told up to 6 players needed not quality but quantity. 2 weeks till start of seson and a champions League qualifer to get into Champions League guarnteed �£15 million and we have spent 500k on 1 player Neil Murray and John Brown were brought in before end of last season what they been doin. As i have stated on another thread Ally has to get it right from the off or he is doomed the central defence needs addressed as other areas of the park, if �£5 Million is available we have �£4.5 Million left to get players in from Countrys where Demands are not as high as in the UK. Neil was brought in because he has alot of player knowledge from Eastern european countrys and Scandavanian makets.

Stop the talking Ally and get some business done.

Either that or I actually am asking it as a fair and impartial question.

So you have nothing invested in either answer? You are actually nonplussed whether he is so open or whether he keeps quiet?

He has to do things differently to be his own man. The thing I'm most interested in is if people think comments like these actually affect the real world of transfers and fees.

Almost every manager in the press on SSN in the papers online blah blah has said something comparable.

I don't think it makes any difference for a manager to say he needs players. All clubs need players.

CEOs aren't paid 6 figure sums not to know the financial situation of other clubs they are dealing with.

Similarly, most agents will make it their business to know the state of play before even allowing their client to negotiate.

All this means I doubt McCoist's words will make much of a difference but I'll happily admit I wish he'd keep his targets to himself - though I recognise the odd comment will contribute to unsettling people enough to make a transfer cheaper/easier to complete.

So you have nothing invested in either answer? You are actually nonplussed whether he is so open or whether he keeps quiet?

I am not sure. Ultimately, it's irrelevant. If he is succesful his press strategy will be right, and if he isn't it won't. So, yeah, I have nothing invested in either answer. I'm interested in whether we think it has any direct and real bearing on transfer negotiations, admitting that you need to move quickly - as I read somewhere.

Almost every manager in the press on SSN in the papers online blah blah has said something comparable.

I don't think it makes any difference for a manager to say he needs players. All clubs need players.

That would be broadly my thoughts. I think stating that we need players quickly is probably only sensible if you genuinly think you are going to get them quickly, though. So the next wee bit should be interesting.

CEOs aren't paid 6 figure sums not to know the financial situation of other clubs they are dealing with.

6 figure sums != competence! Our situation is part financial, part situational though. We may have the kind of money that they want, but, knowing we're more pushed for time than others, they may chance their arm. That said, if I know we're rushed without Ally saying, I doubt they haven't came to the same conclusion.

All this means I doubt McCoist's words will make much of a difference but I'll happily admit I wish he'd keep his targets to himself - though I recognise the odd comment will contribute to unsettling people enough to make a transfer cheaper/easier to complete.

Yeah, Ally's openness with the press is unusual for us - but dealing with people warmly, and being charming, is one of his strengths in a way it hasn't been for Walter etc, so I'm unsurprised.

I can't see how his words will make a difference after the board's actions have shown the club are no longer mugs. If the price is totally wrong we'll walk away.

However, I think he's in a difficult position with not much movement forward and due to that he's communicating with us to reassure us he acknowledges the problem. I really can't see anything wrong with that and welcome it.

It's the complete opposite of PLG who infuriatingly never seemed to act like there was a problem in the slightest.

I don't see that just because we've been mushroomed so much in the past that we should be so wary of a refreshing change.