What do we REALLY need in terms of new players?

No trick question, just looking for everyone's opinions. :)

In my own opinion we need:-

2 very good central defenders, but if Boogie leaves I think we'd need 3.

A tricky, highly skilled, creative and attack-minded player with excellent reading of the game who can play on either wing or as an attacking midfielder/supporting striker. So, someone who defenders regularly struggle to deal with.....

Another one of the above ^^^ who can be the play-maker, attacking midfielder or even second striker when the above player is playing on the wing or out injured.

This is just my own opinion, but with those additions we could be sorted. I watched the Spanish U19s playing Serbia in the UEFA U19 European Championships on Saturday night and it's had a lasting effect on me. :throwpc:

Im worried about the defence. Even if we do sign 2 centre halfs there is no guarantee they are going to work out. Id have confidence in Cuellar as he is proven. But its not just as centre half, Whittaker was awful on Saturday yet AM saw him as a key player. Id much have rather kept Richard Foster for RB. Every good performance by Broadfoot has always been at RB so he'd be my first pick there.

Papac did well on saturday and Wallace should be good cover for him.

In midfield I think we are ok in numbers if Ness and Hutton improve. Davis is the main man there and as I mentioned I would play Bougherra next to him as the holding player. Edu and McCulloch are concerning. Id say McCulloch would be more effective as a sub, he'd be reliable to come on and tightnen things up.

So to answer the question its more about WHO we really need rather than WHERE we need. In a nutshell Cuellar, Bartley, Weiss and Miller are what is REALLY needed. If they signed today Id be extremely happy. But as it stands I cant see us getting any of those 4 now and we are probably going for the unknowns.

I dont want us to end up with a huge squad of players who cant be effective. Ortiz, Kerker and Bedoya have all been signed up yet id have Naismith and Wylde as my wide men.

I think McCoist knows himself we need another striker it's just whether or not we can find one in our price range. So far Miller and Tomer have slipped the net and well we all know why nobody has yet picked up Goodwillie.

It's a really hard one to be honest, obviously we're trying our hardest to stretch our budget as far as we can to fill all these gaps but it will take time. The early start to the season is doing us no favours at all. I am sure with time McCoist will get the players he wants, just hope when that time comes we are not too far behind in the league and out of the CL.

Anyway back on topic, I would also love to see a natural wide player come in just so Davis can cement himself in the middle once and for all. I think we need to try and thrash out a deal to bring the american boy over as soon as possible, after seeing how he plays I think he could be a massive asset to our current midfield.

I think the fact we've put in a bid for Goodwilly and then stuck with it when turned down, and the lack of outside interest is probably not a coincidence. Dundee Utd have over valued him and been over-optimistic at his attractiveness to clubs, considering his still raw talent but in particular his pending court case.

We are short in two areas. CB and striker. We need a second striker to complement Jelavic. I have always seen, and still do, Naismith as being far more effective as a right sided attacking midfielder because of the manner in which he breaks beyond the strikers and how he also is constantly involved in all of our best work. He also tracks back well.

We definitely need a CB too, at least one, because Broadfoot simply isn't good enough for that position. decent squad player, decent full back, but not good enough for CB.

If you look at our team most positions pick themselves, but some you would prefer better quality.

:am:

:sw: :mb: AN. Other (preferably Cuellar) :sp:

:sn: :sd: :jn: :gw:

:nj: AN. Other

When you look at the above, Whittaker could be replaced by Broadfoot so we have cover there. The only cover we seriously have at CB is Weir and that is only if we get another CB in, which shows we need more than one CB.

Papac could be replaced by Wallace, who could also cover LM.

Ortiz could cover both RM and LM.

Davis, on form, is a must start. the other CM position could be covered by Edu, McCulloch, Hutton so plenty of cover. The worry is that if Davis is out then we lose all creativity from CM.

Up front we only really have Lafferty and it seems that Healy will be used sparingly, and we all know that Hemmings is likely to be eased in rather than thrown in.

So I think we really need two CB's and a striker and we would be close.

In an ideal world we would also pick up another creative midfielder because we have few truly creative players.

The thing that worries me more than anything though is the lack of movement throughout our team. only Davis and Naismith (and Jelavic to a lesser extent) make any sort of pass and move motions. it is so basic yet we so rarely do it.

Two possibly Three centre backs are needed, Ideally Cuellar + two others if Bougherra wont sign a new deal

and a striking partner for Jelavic is required as good as Lafferty finished the season who would have confidence in him doing it all year round ?

also would like a good defensive midfielder McCulloch does ok but would still rather see a more natural midfield player in there, I feel we have missed Kevin Thomson in there

Guest Dutchy

A couple of defenders, no need in midfield, and a striker. What we really need is to get the younger players more games as trying to buy our way to success just ain't going to happen. IMHO!