Goian: available for Malmo

Not seen a thread dedicated to our new Romanian stopper :dg: so thought I'd start one.

A 30 year old defender with top flight Serie A experience plus Romanian premier league too, he's got 37 caps for his country in which he's managed a very impressive 5 goals.

His debut was of course St Johnstone, and I'd heard he was a monster in the air, but lacking culture on the deck.

I'd say his display contradicted that entirely. He was actually comfortable with the ball at his feet, keeping the passes simple and effective, apart from one nice lob which the Saints defender missed and which ended up almost being a direct assist.

In the air was more hit and miss - he didn't leap for his near goal, but still got to it ahead of the defence. But was beaten all hands up by the rather short Murray Davidson in the air by letting the midfielder get ball side of him.

Other than that he was pretty quiet and will have more taxing days ahead where we'll be able to judge more accurately.

Sound enough debut but as has been mentioned was tested all that much.

looks like he could be a good addition to the team and add a threat from set pieces for us especially if Lee Wallace delivers balls like he did for Naismith on Saturday.

Also a wee side note doesn't Goian have a better goals per game ratio at international level that the big Greek tranny who wears number 9 for them ?

He looked the part as above never really tested but won everything and composed on the ball should even have had a goal so carry on big lad a new centre back for a partner Wallace at left back and if Whittaker wakes up and starts the season not a bad back line.

Guest BrickHands

Still no word on Malmo availability. Seems we're being messed around, despite the 'wild card' rule. On the man himself, I have seen nothing other than FIFA/Pro Evo over the years as Romania have been a preferred team of mine for battles with my pal who chooses Turkey. Has good reports though from elsewhere despite his problematic time in Sicily.

He loked ok but was never seriously tested. Does anyone know if he can play for us In Malmo yet? Last I heard was we were appealing

Rangers face Euro wait on Dorin Goian after launching UEFA appeal

The Ibrox club have protested their new signing should be free to face Malmo and will receive an answer on Tuesday.

Rangers will learn on Tuesday whether an appeal to UEFA to have Dorin Goian available for their Champions League third qualifying round match with Malmo FF has been successful.

European football’s governing body stated last week that the Romanian, a recent signing from Palermo, was not eligible to play for his new club as he was not registered before last Monday night’s additional player deadline.

Rangers though have protested that Goian’s registration papers were submitted on time, pending a work permit, and he should have been included in their squad list for the two legs.

UEFA will now consider their appeal on Tuesday, with a public holiday for Swiss National Day in Switzerland putting paid to hopes of an immediate decision.

If successful, Goian would be free to play in the decisive second leg match in Sweden, defying previous advice from UEFA that he would not be in contention to feature.

“Even though the process was initiated prior to the deadline, the registration at national level was not completed by this deadline,” a UEFA official confirmed to STV last Thursday.

“The player cannot therefore be registered and is not eligible for the third qualifying round.”

Goian instead was registered on Palermo’s squad list for their Europa League third qualifying round games with FC Thun, having still been a player with the Italian club at the point the original squad was submitted on July 22.

Rangers have three available spaces on List A, having registered 22 players out of a possible 25 and meeting UEFA requirements on including eight locally trained players.

http://sport.stv.tv/football/scottish-premier/rangers/264582-rangers-face-euro-wait-on-dorin-goian-after-launching-uefa-appeal/?

Guest Dutchy

Well from everything I've read of others opinions, could be that we've got a decent enough player on our hands. The team as a whole can only get better and Goian will improve as he settles in also. I'm sure!