No. I don't think Whittaker should be dropped. I wouldn't play him in defence, but give him a midfield role, maybe from the bench, but despite his mistakes, he's a more important player than some seem to think so.

Things will change for him.

Has he some important mystical, future part to play like Gollum or something?

I don't think it would be fair to other players to keep Whittaker in the team right now, and he seems like a risky player at the moment. I'd put him on the bench. Besides, the thinking time might do him good, the guy needs to sort his head out and then show that he's worth a million a year.

Guest Dutchy

I don't know! I don't believe in fantasy and mystisim, so I have no idea.

What I do know is that when I've seen a player produce good form, then bad form, I support him to re-produce his good from and not join a bandwagon of almost hateful vengance.

Give the guy a break is all I'm saying. Being nasty to him is not going to change the situation with regard to qualification, but I thik we need him for the season ahead. Sure, he may start on the bench, but I wouldn't drop him completely.

Unfortunately I find it hard to give Whittaker a break given the absolute nonsense of the contract extension negotiations, then his subsequent dire form.

I would say Bougherra was my least liked Ranger by a mile, but he's gone and Whittaker has sadly replaced him in that bracket for me. The whole shenanigans and quotes from his agent left a permanently sour taste in my mouth about him, and the only way I'd forget was if his form justified his revolting and innappropriate wages.

Quite the opposite - he's been by far our worst player this year.

Danny you keep going on about Whittaker's wages, but none of us actually know exactly what his new wage deal is. Do you know something we don't like what his exact basic salary per week is and how his bonuses are structured??

Guest Dutchy

After being sent off in midweek, I'd expect him to have a negative bonus.

But then again, all footballers are paid far too much IMO anyway, so there's no much point in arguing the point as I'm sure someone will hit on the going market rate, or some other finacial bull

Unless I am mistaken Whittaker's "importance" to the team thus far in 4 competitive games has seen him lose his opponent at a corner to gift Hearts a goal, thus 2 points were dropped.

He also was so "important" that he gited Malmo an away goal at Ibrox.

He further was so "important" that he left his team-mates playing with a player less for 80% of the return leg, having been childishly petulant.

Sorry for being the one to pour water on this.... but can you please explain to me how Whittaker is so important to us ? Only if you were the fan of a club other than Rangers would his contribution thus far this season be seen as "important".

But for the consequence of Whittaker's decisions and actions we could very well be sitting top of the table on 6 points and be into the next qualifying round of the CL...... and THAT is comsidered to be important ? Pfffttttt

I don't know! I don't believe in fantasy and mystisim, so I have no idea.

What I do know is that when I've seen a player produce good form, then bad form, I support him to re-produce his good from and not join a bandwagon of almost hateful vengance.Give the guy a break is all I'm saying. Being nasty to him is not going to change the situation with regard to qualification, but I thik we need him for the season ahead. Sure, he may start on the bench, but I wouldn't drop him completely.

But I dont think it is a bandwagon of hateful vengeance.

At least on here all we want is what is best for Rangers and, whether you like it or not, Whittaker is currently nothing other than a LIABILITY. Bring in Broadfoot and see what he can do. If he screws up then we go back to Whittaker.

Just because a player is playing poorly doesnt mean he should continue to be picked in the hopes he can turn it around. What if he doesnt. What if he plays in our next 2 SPL games and we drop more points and are out of the league reckoning by September ? Do we continue with him ?

Sorry, but I have always believed that if a player isnt performing well then he is dropped, plain and simple (unless you have no-one to replace him). We have Broadfoot who can carry out the RB duties.

Sticking by a player just in the hope he turns good is NOT the way to pick your team - unless you can afford to carry a passenger, which we cant.

Danny you keep going on about Whittaker's wages, but none of us actually know exactly what his new wage deal is. Do you know something we don't like what his exact basic salary per week is and how his bonuses are structured??

We know he's one of the club's best paid players. Only someone with their head in the sand would think otherwise after he rejected about 4 contract extensions before being given more or less what he wanted.

I know you're trying to be awkward with your second sentence, to somehow defend Whittaker's new deal by showing I can't give the exact details. Or are you also going to say we don't know for sure McGregor is the best paid player at around �£25k?

I agree he has been the worst so far, but I'm talking about the future and he's not as bad as you make out, He will come good, again.

He has never been great. He has gone through some decent spells but has rarely if ever been MOTM. I used to rate him quite highly, and I even thought last season he was overall one of our better performers, as I detailed on here, but the contract shambles followed by his form have left an indellible mark against his name.

This season he has been probably worse than many of us make out, and deserves to sit on the bench. But given his wages (yes Zappa, I'm mentioning them again) he will probably still start every match. You rarely bench your highest paid players. Unless you're Man City.