Bougherra move confirmed

Madjid Bougherra has left Rangers to sign for Qatar side Lekhwiya in a �£1.7 million move.

The Algerian defender, who moved to the club from Charlton Athletic in 2008, made his final appearance for the Ibrox club in their Champions League defeat to Malmo FF, a game in which he was sent off.

Rangers boss Ally McCoist confirmed on Friday that the player had played his final game for the club and was in Qatar to finalise personal terms.

"A fee has been agreed with the Qatar club in the region of �£1.7million," he said. "There are just bits and pieces to be tied up there. I think that deal is just about done. He won't be playing against Chelsea tomorrow."

Speaking of his move to Qatar earlier this week, Bougherra answered claims he was moving to the Middle East solely for financial reasons, saying it did factor in his decision given his late arrival to the game.

ââ?¬Å?Football in the Middle East is evolving quicker than people think. It is true it is not on the same level as Europe, but I know the goal of the Qataris is to eventually make it as close to that standard as possible.

ââ?¬Å?In the past, they would sign star players who were coming to the end of their careers. Now they want to sign younger players.

"We must not be hypocrites either. When the doors of the big clubs in Europe are closed because of their networks, what should we do?

ââ?¬Å?I came late into football. I was doing a computing qualification and I worked at the weekends like everyone else. I know where I come from. If at that time I was told I could have earned as much I can in Qatar, I would have said yes immediately.ââ?¬Â

Don't think we can still complain at 1.7 Million due to his contract being up in less that 12 months. He would have signed for someone on a pre-contract come January so all in all it's the best for both parties. Just hope we use the money for Juhasz.

Sure sounds like he's only interested in money - and the door to a big European club was wide open for him, but he walked away.

It's been really hard to like the guy and I'm not that bothered to see him go. If he was more interested in developing better human characteristics than greed and selfishness - like striving for excellence, work ethics, respect and loyalty, I think he'd have been twice the player he is.

He would have left in 12 months time for nothing. He also, despite protestations to the contrary, didnt have his heart in it anymore. Decent money for a guy who would have went anyway. We have Bartley to replace him so no gain, no loss. Still need AT LEAST one more CB in, probably two.

Decent servant but no more. His last 18 months were poor by comparison to the standards he set in his first season.

I would prefer we manage to secure Cuellar - Cuellar AND Juhasz would be nice though....

Sure sounds like he's only interested in money - and the door to a big European club was wide open for him, but he walked away.

It's been really hard to like the guy and I'm not that bothered to see him go. If he was more interested in developing better human characteristics than greed and selfishness - like striving for excellence, work ethics, respect and loyalty, I think he'd have been twice the player he is.

to be fair to him he has been quite honest about it. He said he came into football late in his life compared to others and if has the opportunity to make the money they're offering he would take it.

But how do you know he wasnt striving for all those things ? I assume you werent watching him on the training ground, so how would you know ? I do, of course, exclude loyalty from that as it is fairly obvious his loyalty is to money. Not sure he has been disrespectful either....