Perry or Bocanegra?

I don't think there's any doubt who Ally will pick to partner Goian against Maribor but I'd like to see Perry keep his place after his excellent performance on Sunday and make Bocanegra work hard to break into the 1st team.

Perry did absolutely nothing wrong against Motherwell and, if he is dropped then he has every right to feel aggrieved and disappointed.

I'd play Perry, but I think Ally will play Bocanegra because if he doesn't play him then it would have been better to have registered Bedoya instead (which is what I think he should have done).

Yeah, this is quite a difficult question to answer.

The young lad has done very well so far and I wasn't overly impressed with Boca in the first match. As such, I'd be tempted to start Perry and filter Boca into the team over the coming weeks.

Are Jamie Murphy and Michael Higdon better than what Maribor have to offer? That's the question Ally will have to answer before making his decision.

Looking at non-OF Scottish clubs' results in Europe over the last 10 years, I'd say any team in Europe from Iceland upwards would be more effective than Motherwell in a European game... Slovenian Champions will surely be a cut above.

Looking at non-OF Scottish clubs' results in Europe over the last 10 years, I'd say any team in Europe from Iceland upwards would be more effective than Motherwell in a European game... Slovenian Champions will surely be a cut above.

Being a bit of a pedant here cal, but Motherwell are UEFA ranked 175 having gained 6.353 coefficient points in the past 5 seasons while NK Maribor are UEFA ranked 226 having gained 4.349 coefficient points over the same period. I know that this doesn't mean Motherwell are a better team than Maribor, but it's still interesting to consider. We really shouldn't have been beaten over in Slovenia and we should definitely be beating this Slovenian team at Ibrox and progressing in the competition tomorrow night.

http://www.uefa.com/memberassociations/uefarankings/club/index.html

I'd play Perry, but I think Ally will play Bocanegra because if he doesn't play him then it would have been better to have registered Bedoya instead (which is what I think he should have done).

I agree with you up to the point about Bedoya. That is where I disagree with you. We were absolutely decimated at CB for the 1st leg tie. We only had Goian, Bocanegra and Perry. We had more ample cover in midfield and didnt need Bedoya as much.

Perry was still unproven at this point font forget - he only had played against Chelsea in a bounce game and had an hour against St Johnstone. I dont think that is enough to go with him as our only option at CB. What if we didnt have Bocanegra listed and Perry or Goian got injured? We would have had to have played someone out of position (or, heaven forbid, Broadfoot) at CB.

We had more options in midfield than we did at CB. And for that reason I think that having Bocanegra as the listed player made far more sense than listing Bedoya.

I agree with you up to the point about Bedoya. That is where I disagree with you. We were absolutely decimated at CB for the 1st leg tie. We only had Goian, Bocanegra and Perry. We had more ample cover in midfield and didnt need Bedoya as much.

Perry was still unproven at this point font forget - he only had played against Chelsea in a bounce game and had an hour against St Johnstone. I dont think that is enough to go with him as our only option at CB. What if we didnt have Bocanegra listed and Perry or Goian got injured? We would have had to have played someone out of position (or, heaven forbid, Broadfoot) at CB.

We had more options in midfield than we did at CB. And for that reason I think that having Bocanegra as the listed player made far more sense than listing Bedoya.

Got to agree with that and think Zappa must agree when he looks at it properly.

I agree to an extent Craig, but I wasn't at all happy that we were playing both Edu & Jig in midfield in Maribor, especially when Jig had been out injuired and I seriously doubted that he was fully fit to start at all never mind in scorching heat. We ended up depleted in the central midfield area with neither Ness or Hutton making the bench and that's maybe why Jig was played? I'm almost certain that Bedoya could have played a similar role alongside Davis as to what Naismith played on Sunday at Firpark. Even if he had been on the bench, Ally would have had the option to throw him on as a direct replacement for Naismith instead of what he did do.