I can't think of a decent team who still plays 4-4-2, correct me if I am wrong. We won the League playing this formation, but we just don't get away with it in Europe. We had our successes in Europe with Walter playing 4-5-1, tho' he came under a lot of criticism for defensive football. Not that long ago, good results against Barcelona and Manchester United, yet all of a sudden Scottish Football is in crisis according to the same people who slagged Rangers for playing negative football.

I wondered when we were 'bidding' for Goodwillie, if Ally had a fluid 4-3-3/4-5-1 in mind, with Naismith and Goodwillie on either side of Jelavic. Is he now forced into playing 2 strikers, or can one of the new signings take Goodwillies place.

Can we keep playing 4-4-2 every week in the SPL and still expect to do reasonably well in Europe?

Formations dont make players, its players who make formations. Always depends on the personnel you have available, then you should get your best XI out with players in favoured positions.

We dont seem to know our best XI at the moment and we consistantly play players out of position.

I like 4-3-3 which can be switched back to a 4-5-1 but Id rather have a partner for Jelavic to get the best out of him, thats why I still think 3-5-2 can work if played properly. Also only 1 upfront in the SPL would be ridiculous so if it was a 4-5-1 it would have to include 2 players who would get right up there with Jelavic.

Id be happy to give 3-5-2 a try as we have good options at centre half now plus I wouldnt have Whittaker in the team at RB anyway. We have good numbers in midfield now with McKay, Ness, Hutton and Davis all good options for the middle of the park plus Naismith could have a free role. Ortiz would benefit in a 5 man midfield IMO and Im looking forward to seeing Bedoya.

I like the idea of 3-5-2.

Talking about formations, I've had thoughts this week that Ally should be encouraged to mentor with some leading experts/coaches in Europe. The idea being that he should learn some new thinking and new skills.

Without being overly critical, the coaching staff have seemed pretty bereft of ideas against European opposition this season and this really needs to be addressed.

Guest Dutchy

I think it's a wee bit too early to be judging what's the best formation for our team, although I'd play 4-4-2 domestically and 4-5-1 in Europe, but there is in fact a lot of new faces in the team at the moment and we'll have to wait another week or two to find out who and what's the best way forward.

I think it's a wee bit too early to be judging what's the best formation for our team, although I'd play 4-4-2 domestically and 4-5-1 in Europe, but there is in fact a lot of new faces in the team at the moment and we'll have to wait another week or two to find out who and what's the best way forward.

I'd say it'll take a lot more than a week or two because the manager will want to see how different combinations can work. I get the impression that McKay will be able to play on the left of a two OR three man central midfield or even on the left wing if need be. Bedoya will probably be capable of playing anywhere in midfield, but primarily as a right winger come attacking midfielder/supporting striker, so Ally is going to have a lot of different combinations to try out before knowing what might work best against certain opposition.

I'd say it'll take a lot more than a week or two because the manager will want to see how different combinations can work. I get the impression that McKay will be able to play on the left of a two OR three man central midfield or even on the left wing if need be. Bedoya will probably be capable of playing anywhere in midfield, but primarily as a right winger come attacking midfielder/supporting striker, so Ally is going to have a lot of different combinations to try out before knowing what might work best against certain opposition.

That is the problem with change.

Does Ally have the time to experiment, and still win the SPL?

That is the problem with change.

Does Ally have the time to experiment, and still win the SPL?

He needs to because otherwise there's no point in bringing these new players in. I'm almost certain that he'll see the weak spots in the team and try to replace them, but that can't be done this season because certain players Ally doesn't really want in his team have time left on their contracts. That's my take on it anyway, but I'm normally wrong... :)

Guest Dutchy

It was the introdution of all these new players I was talking about and a couple of weeks may have sounded a bit optimistic, but surely he'll have seen them all by then and all we have to do is keep winning up to 18th Sept.

I myself am disappointed in our European exits, but on the bright side, septic may get reinstated, thus giving us more time to concentrate on the title. I am not the slightest bit worried about any threat from them as I'm listening to them beating St Mirren 2-0 at the moment and from the commentry, the Buddies are giving them a game of it as their defence is just as rotten as it was last year.

We should always be playing with two strikers in Scotland. 4-4-2 is the best option domestically I believe. In Europe it's a different story and 4-5-1/4-3-3 should be used. my concern would be more the style of play. Jelavic's best attributes are is quick feet and hold-up play not his heading ability. Pinging 70 yard balls for him to flick does us no good whatsoever. Our passing and our failure to keep the ball for any amount of time is more of a concern for me rather than the formation.