Does this era seem a bit like Eck?

A lot of folk have namedropped a comparison with PLG, but I've never really felt that.

But the match against Aberdeen felt like a return to the days of Eck. A grotty win, playing very poorly, with an unglamorous squad with a few good players. For Dado see Jelavic. For Klos see McGregor.

Ally wasn't the most thrilling appointment, and Eck certainly wasn't. The latter also struggled to sign quality, although when he had good money from the sale of Boumsong he bought the players who won us the league.

But the standard of football was never very good - in fact it was a very up and down era - from the heights of the last 16 of the CL to the lows of watching Nuno Capucho come on at Old Trafford when we were 3-0 down or whatever the score was.

The management staff also remind me of that time. Ally reminds me a little of Eck, and McDowall is a carbon copy of Andy Watson.

I am not calling for Ally's head - although he has made some mistakes so far - a rookie manager always will. But he is under pressure to continue our SPL results (in light of the absence of much else to play for this season) if not form. Because while we can complain about the football our SPL record is 4 wins and a draw.

That's not bad.

See, I can be positive :D

Something's just not sitting right with me re McCoist. Usually a win after a defeat changes the mood some what but the win over Aberdeen yesterday hasn't put me in a better mood after Thursday nights fuck up. Right now, this era looks nothing like any previous era. I don't know!

I can't put my finger on it.

I don't see much of a difference between some of the time under Walter and now. There were plenty of games last season that were as bad as Saturday, just like there were plenty of good performances like Motherwell last week.

Ally has made some mistakes but so did Walter. So does every manager.

I think that it's being over-analysed. I don't see the point in trying to pigeonhole Ally now or judge what kind of manager he is going to be.

We are top of the league and unbeaten. Let's wait a few months and judge then.

Got to say that I don't see the comparison at all. Not only because I think it's too early to judge this new era, but also because Alex McLeish inherited a far far higher quality squad of players from Dick Advocaat than Ally has inherited from Walter Smith. This was the squad Eck inherited in 2001 -

Stefan Klos

Fernando Ricksen

Craig Moore

Lorenzo Amoruso

Arthur Numan

Barry Ferguson

Claudio Caniggia

Christian Nerlinger

Tore Andr�© Flo

Michael Mols

Neil McCann

Claudio Reyna

Ronald de Boer

Bert Konterman

Billy Dodds

Andrei Kanchelskis

Michael Ball

Scott Wilson

Russell Latapy

Maurice Ross

Jesper Christiansen

Kenny Miller

Shota Arveladze

Allan Johnston

Tony Vidmar

Peter Lovenkrands

Stephen Hughes

Dariusz Adamczuk

Tero Penttil�¤

Robert Malcolm

Allan McGregor

Jimmy Gibson

Tom Brighton

Chris Burke

Guest Dutchy

I think Alex McLeish did an excellent job for Rangers, considering what he had to put up with from the support never signing his name, having Advocaat hanging about for his first six months and PLG for his last 4 or 5.

Why is everyone so down beat? So, Scottish football is crap. At least we know it and we can now do something about it. I don't see picking on the manager, albeit a novice, is the right solution.

Who do you think should come in. I mentioned Billy Davies a few years ago and was villified, but it seems he's the only one. Oh, Jimmy Calderwood, he's had experience of Dutch football. I remember he had Dumfernline playing 2-2-6, that sounds great.

I think Alex McLeish did an excellent job for Rangers, considering what he had to put up with from the support never signing his name, having Advocaat hanging about for his first six months and PLG for his last 4 or 5.

Why is everyone so down beat? So, Scottish football is crap. At least we know it and we can now do something about it. I don't see picking on the manager, albeit a novice, is the right solution.

Who do you think should come in. I mentioned Billy Davies a few years ago and was villified, but it seems he's the only one. Oh, Jimmy Calderwood, he's had experience of Dutch football. I remember he had Dumfernline playing 2-2-6, that sounds great.

How about Guus Hiddink, Ray Wilkins and Ally McCoist?

I see what Danny is saying, it does remind me towards the end of McLeish's time when everything was flat. The comparisons are that there isnt that experienced guy in the management team, I said the same when Andy Watson was there.

The thing that is missing is that authoritive figure, just like Souness, Walter and Advocaat had.

I see what Danny is saying, it does remind me towards the end of McLeish's time when everything was flat. The comparisons are that there isnt that experienced guy in the management team, I said the same when Andy Watson was there.

The thing that is missing is that authoritive figure, just like Souness, Walter and Advocaat had.

Ally IS the authoritive figure. It might not seem like it right now because he hasn't previously been seen that way and he's at the bottom of a steep learning curve that he needs to climb quick style, but he WILL learn quickly and change quickly. He's gonna bloody have to! He'll have learned a lot from Walter, but six and a half or seven years coaching under Walter hasn't fully prepared him for actually being in the hot seat. He's currently in a period of what can only be described as 'on the job training' and that's something which I think we need to accept and appreciate, not question and slate. At almost 49 Ally is now 6 years older than Walter was when he took over from Souness in '91.

Got to say that I don't see the comparison at all. Not only because I think it's too early to judge this new era, but also because Alex McLeish inherited a far far higher quality squad of players from Dick Advocaat than Ally has inherited from Walter Smith. This was the squad Eck inherited in 2001 -

Stefan Klos

Fernando Ricksen

Craig Moore

Lorenzo Amoruso

Arthur Numan

Barry Ferguson

Claudio Caniggia

Christian Nerlinger

Tore Andr�© Flo

Michael Mols

Neil McCann

Claudio Reyna

Ronald de Boer

Bert Konterman

Billy Dodds

Andrei Kanchelskis

Michael Ball

Scott Wilson

Russell Latapy

Maurice Ross

Jesper Christiansen

Kenny Miller

Shota Arveladze

Allan Johnston

Tony Vidmar

Peter Lovenkrands

Stephen Hughes

Dariusz Adamczuk

Tero Penttil�¤

Robert Malcolm

Allan McGregor

Jimmy Gibson

Tom Brighton

Chris Burke

Your right that the squad personnel cant be compared but I still stick to the argument that management team can be compared.

That is quite an unbelievable squad BTW and would snatch at that now if the chance was there.

Everyone at their peak then it would be tricky to pick the best XI from that but here goes so we can compare it to the current team....(obviously the McGregor then wasnt the McGregor now).

______________________Klos_____________________

Ricksen________Moore_________Amoruso_____Numan

Reyna________De Boer________Ferguson_____McCann

______________Caniggia______Mols_______________