Too much information?

Been thinking about events @ Gers over the past 12 months (ish...)

Given the number of available media streams - forums, facebook, twitter etc, is there simply too much information available???

Transfer talk is a good example.....recently the amount of "information" about possible transfers has been fairly overwhelming. In previous years how many of these transfer targets would have been known to the public domain??? Now, with the internet/facebook etc, the rumours and at times complete mis-information spreads like wildfire and can quickly become "fact".

The financial stuff as well....normal folk can access information from the Stock Exchange or companies house, without actually knowing what it is...this then gets spread around at an alarming rate on knots. While this has always been the case, it was never as easy to do, and yer average fan would have no interest in contacting Companies house to find out if there is anything new...a few clicks with the mouse, and recent transactions/publications can be displayed.

The overall result is that all the clubs business is being played out in public - not the best thing to happen.

So, is too much information a good or a bad thing????

Discuss....

Was thinking exactly the same this morning. You really wonder how many cases like ours with HMRC have been done over these past few seasons, but with less media attention ... for whatever reason. The only "scandal" of late I remotely remember is the one of Portsmouth ...

On the other hand, many of those involved - including press folk - will not know that much about such deals and how they are handled, but shoot away freely with this stuff and create a hysteria well beyond joke. And this, BTW, is the point why I would like to see Whyte's lawyers check out who revealed this - I would assume confidential - stuff. They simply need to double check the phone bills of that renegade journo for starters ...

with technology over the last few years, it has made it soooo much easier to get "facts" into the public domain....whether that be from the media, sources within the club, or fans.

Information about the recent mortgaging off of assets.....does this happen at other clubs/companies??? I for one can't answer that, but the fact that scans have been published, is enough for fans with no knowledge of what they are, or what they are about, to form opinions, and "facts" about what is happening at the club. In years gone by, would the fans even have known about anything like that????

I would like to see Whyte's lawyers check out who revealed this - I would assume confidential - stuff.

From my understanding, a lot of the info is available to the public.....its just in previous years, the vast majority wouldn't know how to access it, or have any desire to go looking for it!!!

I agree that unofficial information about the club is somewhat saturated. It is very difficult for the layman to decide whether some items are new, old, common place, unique, good, bad or indifferent. This creates more stress than one should have as a common, garden fitba fan.

unofficial information about the club

That's also something that's a problem....with rumours/facts/information all flying about from a number of varying sources, it becomes VERY difficult to determine what's official and what's not!!!

I agree that unofficial information about the club is somewhat saturated. It is very difficult for the layman to decide whether some items are new, old, common place, unique, good, bad or indifferent. This creates more stress than one should have as a common, garden fitba fan.

Yeah, I agree with this.

The other side of the coin is that we can monitor the goings on more closely, which IMO, should raise the performance of the guys' running the club.

The amount of rumours this summer was easily the most overcooked I've seen in my lifetime. And I grew up, as I'm sure many of us did, with the Sunday Mail's back page telling us of the next player we were linked to.

This summer we must have been tied to at least 50 names - it was insane.

And lasted right up till the last day when it almost became fact that we were signing some Greek dud called Gekas. Which, of course, was a load of bollocks in the end.

The Internet is certainly in part to blame, it's the most influential media on the planet and it's easy to start a rumour.

The amount of rumours this summer was easily the most overcooked I've seen in my lifetime. And I grew up, as I'm sure many of us did, with the Sunday Mail's back page telling us of the next player we were linked to.

This summer we must have been tied to at least 50 names - it was insane.

And lasted right up till the last day when it almost became fact that we were signing some Greek dud called Gekas. Which, of course, was a load of bollocks in the end.

The Internet is certainly in part to blame, it's the most influential media on the planet and it's easy to start a rumour.

By their nature successful business men like whyte and certainly Murray are secretive characters, sometimes i suspect their right hand doesn't know what the left hand is doing. Misinformation is another tool of their trade, well used by the previous administration. Distrust leads to distrust, i am not saying we as supporters need to know every minute detail of our clubs dealing, far from it. But knowing when to say something and when to remain silent is good PR, up to now i think good and useful information and by extension good PR from the club has been like looking for Hobby horses shite.

Information about the recent mortgaging off of assets.....does this happen at other clubs/companies???

forlanssister posted a link to where he got the MG01s scans and they've been published by a guy called Eric Clelland who has uploaded/published other similar things related to other clubs. For example, if you go to the link posted by forlanssister you can see that amongst other things, this guy Eric Clelland has uploaded scans of MG01s forms for Celtic mortgaging their Lennoxtown property which are dated 10th of June this year. He also published this peach (see image below) -

1-56aea28393.jpg