Weir to leave ??

http://www.scotsman.com/rangersfc/David-Weir-could-walk-away.6846217.jp

RANGERS manager Ally McCoist has assured David Weir he can walk away from Ibrox if he gets frustrated at finding his path to the first team blocked.

Weir is less than halfway through his latest one-year contract but there is an unwritten agreement that it can be torn up if Weir is denied regular football.

At 41, Weir is reluctant to sit out what could be the final season of his career. Now fit again after a hamstring problem, he faces competition from newcomers Dorin Goian and Carlos Bocanegra. Kyle Bartley, the on-loan Arsenal defender, is also pushing for a return following a hernia operation.

McCoist calls it a "nice wee problem to have" and has insisted his preference is for Weir to stay because of his positive influence at the club. Weir, though, has already warned he is unwilling to be patient.

McCoist said: "In terms of what Davie wants to do, I think he has 100 per cent earned the right to do what he wants.

"You'd have to say that I wouldn't attempt to tell Davie what to do, I really wouldn't. When Kyle and Davie are fit, it will be a battle for places because the two new lads have done well and looked solid. Davie has had a fantastic spell here and I hope it continues for some time to come."

McCoist is eyeing a renewed bid to Aston Villa for former Ibrox centre-half Carlos Cuellar in January and, should Weir wish to depart, McCoist would grant the wish, not only out of respect, but also to free a wage.

Have to say McCoist, if this is all true, seem to be handling this one very well.

Much as though I think Sir David of Weir's 1st team career is ebbing to a close, I would still like for him to get a proper send off for his contribution, commitment and general class (as both a player and a person) in representing RANGERS.

Goian and Bocanegra look very assured, very solid and it is hard to see Davie getting a game ahead of both.

Not sure I buy the last paragraph about going back in for Cuellar (unless on a free, and unless he really wants to come). But Bocanegra is 33, so Ally may see his long term partnership being Goian (28 I think) and Cuellar (29). The way they are playing right now even Cuellar (shock, horror) would struggle to break the Goin/Bocanegra partnership.

Not sure why he would walk away unless he moves into the coaching role at Everton like rumoured. He will be needed at some point this season. Goian and bocanegra are doing well but they came about as a partnership perhaps by default and it would be mamoth for them to play all season.

Bartley can also be used as a midfielder but we seem to be covered there well at the moment.

As good as Weir has been we cant change something that is far from broken, we arent conceding again at the moment. the only errors are coming at full back (or RB) with Whittaker.

Guest Dutchy

As far as I'm aware, he had an offer to coach with Everton, direct from Davy Moyes, but he wanted to keep playing. I think this was a futile attempt too far and hope he gets that job now.

All the best to him.

I would like to think when the time comes for him to leave he gets a proper send off from the Rangers fans.The man has been the best and most consistent player in the league since he arrived,I wish we had signed him earlier in his career,having said that I bet he wishes he had signed earlier in his career.

SDOW