Police launch sectarian singing probe

COPS are hunting bigots who chanted sectarian songs at Hearts' powderkeg match against Celtic.

Rogue Hoops fans have been accused of singing pro-IRA anthems as Jambos rivals belted out anti-Catholic tunes.

The hatred on the terraces at Tynecastle on Sunday came as guards threw a ring of steel around Bhoys boss Neil Lennon after a Hearts fan lunged at him in the dugout last season.

Now Lothian and Borders Police are investigating the chants after receiving complaints about both sets of supporters during the Edinburgh club's shock 2-0 win.

Last night, a Hearts spokesman said: "We are keen to ensure all supporters benefit from a safe and welcoming environment at Tynecastle. The club will not tolerate any kind of threatening or sectarian behaviour."

Celtic fans were also said to have made obscene gestures at a schoolboy team during a half-time lap of honour.

Jambos yobs were seen wearing masks of John Wilson, 26 — the hooligan who was jailed for his pitch invasion and bust-up with Lennon in May.

Last night, a police spokesman said: "We are investigating complaints about sectarian songs.Anyone found to be committing an offence will be brought to justice." One fan has been charged with an alleged sectarian breach of the peace.

No one from Celtic was available for comment.

Read more: http://www.thescottishsun.co.uk/scotsol/homepage/news/3855404/Police-probe-on-soccer-bigots.html#ixzz1Zyqo8UPy

Songs reported to have been sung by Celtic fans included Ooh Ah Up The Ra, said to be a pro-IRA song, The Boys of the Old Brigade, which celebrates the role of the 1920s IRA in the Irish War of Independence, and Roll of Honour, an Irish rebel song that commemorates the participants in the 1981 Irish hunger strike.

Yeah that's why they sing "When being just a boy like you, I joined the I.R.A.(Provisional wing)" :rolleyes:

Anyway, as Leggo repeatedly points out - the IRA of the 20's were guilty of mass murder in the name of sectarian, ethnic cleansing.

Also, how do Celtic fans explain this when they also sing "P.I. P.I. P.I.R.A."?

Rogue Hoops Fans. Right you are so that will be the entire Septic end give me bloody strength.

My first reaction too.

So Celtic fans sing sectarian songs and they are "rogue fans".

Rangers fans and you can guarantee that it would be along the lines of "The Rangers fans who occupied XXX stand" making it out to be "non rogue" and the entire support.