Robert Rollie avoids jail term over Neil Lennon abuse

A man who posted threatening and abusive messages against Celtic manager Neil Lennon on Facebook has been given a 12-month community payback order.

Robert Rollie, 39, from Cumnock, East Ayrshire, admitted posting comments on a page targeting Mr Lennon on 14 March.

The Rangers fan was arrested after a police task force, formed after March's so-called Old Firm shame game, began reviewing social networking sites.

At Glasgow Sheriff Court, Rollie was told his conduct had been disgraceful.

'Shoot him'

The court was told that Rollie posted his comments on the Facebook page "Neil Lennon should be sacked and jailed for racism".

Continue reading the main story

â??Start Quote

There is no room in a modern Scotland for the views expressed by you and others�

Sheriff Martin Jones QC

His comments demanded that the Celtic manager be sacked and sent back to Ireland.

Rollie also used abusive terms towards Mr Lennon, stating: "Shoot him".

He was interviewed by police on 27 March, during which he said he had no recollection of posting the messages.

Rollie accepted, however, that they could only have been posted by him and that they appeared to be targeted at Neil Lennon.

Sheriff Martin Jones QC told him: "Your behaviour on this particular date online or otherwise is quite disgraceful.

"As I have said to others there is no room in a modern Scotland for the views expressed by you and others."

He added: "Taking account of the fact that you are a first offender and have a good work record and have never been in any sort of trouble I intend to deal with this by way of a non custodial penalty."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-glasgow-west-15197744

Surely these sort of crimes (see Zander Diamond et al) should be dealt with this type of punishment. It's not a crime as such in my eyes, but giving back to the community surely means something beneficial for society right? As for the rights/wrongs of the fact he got singled out, I'll not open that can of worms in case I end up picking up rubbish in Kelvingrove Park for it!

That headline is so cynical, the guy has been convicted of the crime and punished as the Court sees fit. Do the BBC want people locked up just because it's against Lennon?

Yes, and not just the BBC. Celtic, the RC church, SNP, Labour, Radio Clyde, Daily Record.........

The precedent has now been set.

Good or bad ? ......I'm not sure.

Precedent? Couple of months ago some tim was charged with the same thing for abuse online against Diouf and Walter Smith. I don't know what the sentence was, if indeed he has appeared in court yet.