The Bears are having a party!

I see your point Craig and will think twice in the future, but it's just so good to see how much its winds them up. :devil:

I see your point too Allan, I think free speech is something we should be fighting to maintain. But there are still boundaries within that IMO.

Yes, it winds them up and we all love that. I would just prefer we had other ways of winding them up rather than things which are hurtful to people who have been victims of some heinous act previously. The problem with this idelology I have is that I personally think that the Famine Song was a fantastic wind up.... but we are up against the perenially offended who wil cry from the rooftops that it is sectarian when in actual fact it is really just a wind up.

The problem is the inequality in that we cant call them fenians and we cant tell them to "go home"... yet they have carte blanche to call us huns and whatever else they feel like.

They created the mess when most people just wanted to have a laugh at the other's expense.

I see your point too Allan, I think free speech is something we should be fighting to maintain. But there are still boundaries within that IMO.

Yes, it winds them up and we all love that. I would just prefer we had other ways of winding them up rather than things which are hurtful to people who have been victims of some heinous act previously. The problem with this idelology I have is that I personally think that the Famine Song was a fantastic wind up.... but we are up against the perenially offended who wil cry from the rooftops that it is sectarian when in actual fact it is really just a wind up.

The problem is the inequality in that we cant call them fenians and we cant tell them to "go home"... yet they have carte blanche to call us huns and whatever else they feel like.

They created the mess when most people just wanted to have a laugh at the other's expense.

Even the funny wind up will die a death soon Craig we are moving into an ultra PC country in Scotland. Have been at games in the past laughing my arse off at the banter going back and forth between opposite sides. The perma offended have wasted our beautiful game just gives me another reason to hate them.

Even the funny wind up will die a death soon Craig we are moving into an ultra PC country in Scotland. Have been at games in the past laughing my arse off at the banter going back and forth between opposite sides. The perma offended have wasted our beautiful game just gives me another reason to hate them.

There are thousands of wind up's without having to do it on the back of child abuse. No dough but four in a row hurts them far more than any paedophilia chants. Personally I don't see singing this song anything to do with the education system but just basic standards and values that should be taught at home. I don't know if I am classed in the Perma offended but it does bother me the image our great club has to outsiders. My love for Rangers is far greater than any dislike for Celtic as should be with every supporter..

Edited by pete

There are thousands of wind up's without having to do it on the back of child abuse. No dough but four in a row hurts them far more than any paedophilia chants. Personally I don't see singing this song anything to do with the education system but just basic standards and values that should be taught at home. I don't know if I am classed in the Perma offended but it does bother me the image our great club has to outsiders. My love for Rangers is far greater than any dislike for Celtic as should be with every supporter..

I hear what your saying Pete and my stance is mellowing a bit on the subject. The image of our club will take a skelping much more by the mudslingers than anything we as a support do, as the last few years have shown.

The image of our club will take a skelping much more by the mudslingers than anything we as a support do, as the last few years have shown.

Indeed, but you don't need to give your enemy amo.

They won't touch us on those songs, because then they would have tackle countless other little dittys from around the league.

Kind of heading back to square1 on this debate. Which is should a government legislate against freedom of speech no matter how offensive?

They won't touch us on those songs, because then they would have tackle countless other little dittys from around the league.

Kind of heading back to square1 on this debate. Which is should a government legislate against freedom of speech no matter how offensive?

I am afraid you could be wrong there as well as Rangers seem to be public enemy No.1 on these things.

I am afraid you could be wrong there as well as Rangers seem to be public enemy No.1 on these things.

Exactly Pete. Has any other Scottish club been done for fans singing or chanting specific things at a game? Does my memory fail me or are we the only Scottish club to have been targetted?

And this is the point.

If you ACTUALLY take the moral high ground then you can do so from the top of the mountain. If you resort to the same mudslinging (even if only perceived and not actual) then you have immediately taken away any advantage you might have had.

It is in our own best interests to be "whiter than white" whilst coming up with a nice repertiore that could not possibly cause offence (easier said than done with this lot) because when they start throwing their mud at us we have justifiable defence. And when we complain about the "huns" description they wont be able to fire anything back at us.

To win a war you really need to be smart. Using this song at Pittodrie, whilst amusing to most, is not being smart when considering the longer term perspective.