Sfa clear celtic after chant probe

SPL chiefs have revealed they will not punish Celtic over pro-IRA singing at Parkhead.

Hampden bosses held a full investigation into chants at the Hoops' home league match with Hibs on October 29.

And they published their findings last night - with UEFA poised to take action over allegations of similar misbehaviour at a hearing in Switzerland on Thursday.

Hoops followers are in the dock with Euro bosses over their conduct at the Europa League clash with French side Rennes at Parkhead on November 3.

But having held meetings with the Glasgow club and Strathclyde Police, the SPL are convinced the club has been doing everything possible to stamp out political singing.

An SPL statement read: "It is not disputed that a small number of Celtic fans engaged in singing and chanting in support of the IRA.

ì

There is a minority in there who are damaging the reputation of the club

î

Celtic boss Neil Lennon

"Such behaviour is unacceptable and unwelcome at SPL matches.

"It is noted that Celtic FC has condemned such activity publicly on many occasions, most recently by Chief Executive Peter Lawwell and by Head Coach Neil Lennon.

"It is important that such public condemnation should continue.

"It has been established that Celtic FC took all reasonably practicable steps before, during and after the match to minimise the likelihood of unacceptable conduct occurring and, where it did occur, to assist in the identification and prosecution of offenders.

"The ongoing work amongst the club, supporters and police to ensure that any unacceptable conduct is eradicated from Celtic Park is noted and is welcomed."

Lawwell used the club AGM to attack fans who insist on singing pro-IRA songs.

He said: "These chants which mention and glorify the Provisional IRA are totally and utterly unacceptable.

"They are wrong and should not be sung."

Manager Lennon has been planning to stage a meeting with controversial fans' group The Green Brigade to discuss the thorny matter.

He said: "There is a minority in there who are damaging the reputation of the club. All I'm saying to them is: 'Please stop.'â??We can't be seen in a bad light in terms of offensive singing.

"The majority of the fans don't enjoy it when the reputation of the club is being dragged through the mud."

http://www.express.co.uk/posts/view/288082/SFA-clear-Celtic-after-chant-probe

Not surprised one little bit this was always going to happen. But does make you wonder what they would do if TBB made a return going by that investigation not a bloody thing.

And before folk take the moral high ground on here although I would love to see TBB back with a word change. In today's climate where if a Rangers fan farts it offends someone now is not the time.

The timing of this report is very convenient too just before the Uefa case, read somewhere the SPL has sent a copy of the report to Uefa so that will be another whitewash there too.

Despite it being illegal in the UK to support a Terrorist group,so does this make the SFA law breakers?.

'' Mr Reid said the move sent a signal that the UK would not tolerate people who supported terrorism.''

'' The laws outlawing glorification against terrorism were only passed after a prolonged stalemate between the House of Commons and House of Lords.''

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk_politics/5188136.stm

SFA bringing in new laws next season to outlaw terrorist chanting. It will be a fully fledged offence.

Yes but the absolute defence of "doing everything reasonably practicable" (before during and after the incident) will still mean that it is highly unlikely that any club will ever be charged, let alone found guilty. No club has ever been found guilty of unacceptable conduct within its stadium by the SPL.

UEFA is quite a different kettle of fish. UEFA apply "strict liability" as Rangers know to their cost.

My bet is that UEFA WILL fine and warn Celtic.

The SFA couldn't in all honesty punish Celtic after years of ignoring the problem with Rangers and Celtic in years gone by. Can you imagine the outcry if they did?

Much as it pains me to admit it, we've been benefactors of the SFA's incompetence as much as Celtic are now.

The SFA couldn't in all honesty punish Celtic after years of ignoring the problem with Rangers and Celtic in years gone by. Can you imagine the outcry if they did?

Much as it pains me to admit it, we've been benefactors of the SFA's incompetence as much as Celtic are now.

You are correct, although primarily it is an SPL issue, it would only touch the SFA on appeal from a decision by the SPL.

It is just about possible that the SFA would act in an extreme case but there does not appear to be an appetite for that at the moment.

I keep hearing it's a minority sing these songs, therefore not relavent, in their eyes. But wasn't it only a couple of guys that FARE stalked at the Eidnhoven game, and we still got fined and a fan ban.

I truely never heard anything being sung at either of those games, but FARE snoops in the stands can be effectively judge, jury and prosecution.

There's defenately a revenge element to all these charges Rangers are facing, and law makers are theguilty one, using the Gers as the 'scapegoats' to salve their concissiouses.

I keep hearing it's a minority sing these songs, therefore not relavent, in their eyes. But wasn't it only a couple of guys that FARE stalked at the Eidnhoven game, and we still got fined and a fan ban.

I truely never heard anything being sung at either of those games, but FARE snoops in the stands can be effectively judge, jury and prosecution.

There's defenately a revenge element to all these charges Rangers are facing, and law makers are theguilty one, using the Gers as the 'scapegoats' to salve their concissiouses.

I find it very difficult to equate your comments with the reality of the embarrassing behaviour of many Rangers fans in the city of Eindhoven and especially at the match itself.