Getting rid of the deadwood

I certainly worry about what McCoist is up to by buying players and never giving them a game.

It's all very well talking up the defensive qualities of McCulloch and Edu, but what was Ortiz, McKay and Bedoya bought for if he felt he already had what he wanted.

Which begs the Question, what does he want???

Is there such a manager? When was the last time the OF had one of those that was successful? The most successful OF managers in recent decades generally have had loads of money to spend. Walter is up there without much money to spend but he was highly criticised for his team sheets.

Just who are we comparing McCoist to? He's 4pts ahead and looks like he's heading for 96 pts. Not to be sniffed at. Walter had to be cheated out of winning all four championships in his second spell, won a load of cups and got to a European final where he wasn't given a decent chance due to the fixture pileup.

I'm all for these mythical great managers who balance team sheets with sides that play fantastic football while having a production line of world class youth players - all on a current Rangers budget, but just who are they? And would they come to us?

Loads of manager do well in one place and then rubbish when they move - PLG for instance. So is there any guarantee even if we could bring such a guy in?

And you say it would be cheaper???

Walter Smith had no Money is also a myth. I think you will find that Walter Smith had actually quite a large budget and compared to the rest of the SPL,Celtic apart, had a treasure chest instead of a budget. Davis 3+mil Lafferty 4mill? Jelavic 4mill Whittaker ?mill. In fact now that I think of it I don't even think Celtic have released as much money as us over the last few years. As I say Walter and no money is Bullshit. I am not sure and will open it for discussion but it is possible that McCoist has even spent more than Neil Lennon at the beginning of the season. As Craig Whyte pointed out there are managers and teams all over Europe punching above their weight.

Rangers have the second biggest budget in Scotland far bigger than the other teams apart from Celtic. To play 8 defenders against a bottom of the league team and to state that we chose to give the other team the ball is not what I am looking for in a successful manager. You keep judging all other managers on PLG I will judge other managers on their own successes or failures.

And just for the record I will repeat what I said at the time if Murray had supported PLG and sold Ferguson and his back stabbing cronies then we may have had a good manager in PLG.

Walter Smith had no Money is also a myth. I think you will find that Walter Smith had actually quite a large budget and compared to the rest of the SPL,Celtic apart, had a treasure chest instead of a budget. Davis 3+mil Lafferty 4mill? Jelavic 4mill Whittaker ?mill. In fact now that I think of it I don't even think Celtic have released as much money as us over the last few years. As I say Walter and no money is Bullshit.

Walter's net spending in the transfer market in his 4 and a half seasons was relatively small though pete. If he'd got good money for Ferguson, Adam, Miller, Boyd and others who were released and sold his net spending would actually have been practically nothing.

Walter's net spending in the transfer market in his 4 and a half seasons was relatively small though pete. If he'd got good money for Ferguson, Adam, Miller, Boyd and others who were released and sold his net spending would actually have been practically nothing.

If you get 8 million for Boemsong who cost nothing and buy 2 players for 4 million does that mean the players you have bought have cost nothing?

Maybe cheaper to get rid of the manager and get one in who dares to play players that balance a team in attack and defence.

You just won't be happy until Ally leaves, eh pete? :D

Look at it this way: If we win at the weekend, we'll be in a position to drop 3 points at the piggery (hopefully we don't though) and STILL be top of the league come the start of the new year. Obviously no Rangers fan wants us to lose on the 28th, but what I'm saying is that if we win at the weekend it puts us in a position where we know losing on the 28th won't see us drop into 2nd place in the league. That's a fantastic position to be in all things considered.

If you get 8 million for Boemsong who cost nothing and buy 2 players for 4 million does that mean the players you have bought have cost nothing?

That's not what I'm saying pete, but you have to take net spending into consideration because most managers need to sell players to give themselves a transfer kitty or improve their transfer kitty. Walter wouldn't have been given anywhere near as much money to spend if it wasn't for the sales of Hutton, Cuellar and a few smaller sales which all add up to a LOT of money brought in which Walter was essentially allowed to spend.

You just won't be happy until Ally leaves, eh pete? :D

Look at it this way: If we win at the weekend, we'll be in a position to drop 3 points at the piggery (hopefully we don't though) and STILL be top of the league come the start of the new year. Obviously no Rangers fan wants us to lose on the 28th, but what I'm saying is that if we win at the weekend it puts us in a position where we know losing on the 28th won't see us drop into 2nd place in the league. That's a fantastic position to be in all things considered.

What has he actually done apart from beating Celtic? If we are totally honest with the budget Rangers have we should be well clear of all other teams apart from Celtic.

Our performances have been absolutely atrocious apart from one good half against Celtic. We got fucked against a German amateur team ffs. I know pre-season is no judge.:facepalm: We got put out of Europe 10mill down the drain against teams we should have been walking over. He brought the team into training 3 weeks before probably the most important game of the season, to play a team who were already in mid-season. He said his tactic's were to give the other team the ball. He must have picked that one out of the Irish coaching manual. Against Barcelona you know they are going to have most of the ball but against Inverness:wtf:

No sorry, but I am not too impressed up until now. If we keep playing as we now are, how long is that 4 point lead going to last.

I still live in hope though.

Walter Smith had no Money is also a myth. I think you will find that Walter Smith had actually quite a large budget and compared to the rest of the SPL,Celtic apart, had a treasure chest instead of a budget. Davis 3+mil Lafferty 4mill? Jelavic 4mill Whittaker ?mill. In fact now that I think of it I don't even think Celtic have released as much money as us over the last few years. As I say Walter and no money is Bullshit. I am not sure and will open it for discussion but it is possible that McCoist has even spent more than Neil Lennon at the beginning of the season. As Craig Whyte pointed out there are managers and teams all over Europe punching above their weight.

Rangers have the second biggest budget in Scotland far bigger than the other teams apart from Celtic. To play 8 defenders against a bottom of the league team and to state that we chose to give the other team the ball is not what I am looking for in a successful manager. You keep judging all other managers on PLG I will judge other managers on their own successes or failures.

And just for the record I will repeat what I said at the time if Murray had supported PLG and sold Ferguson and his back stabbing cronies then we may have had a good manager in PLG.

Yet he pretty much wiped the carpet with ALL of them, Celtic included. So he had the 2nd most money to spend but still continued to win the title each year in a two horse race aside from one with extenuating circumstances. By your logic he should have finished 2nd each year... but he didnt. Kind of blows that theory apart.

I suspect Celtic had more mney to spend than Walter over that time frame.

As for McCoist spending more money than Lennon at the start of the season... what kind of argument is that ? Lennon started this season with what seemed like 50 players whilst McCoist started with 18. Stands to reason he NEEDED to spend more money than Lennon. I really dont understand your argument there.

2nd biggest budget in Scotland as you point out..... yet sitting TOP of the league.... by 4 points... reasonably successful at this stage, wouldnt you agree ?

Edited by craig

By the same token Celtic sold McGeady for 9 million and spent it on the players they have. Does that mean McCoist spent less than Lennon, given Lennon had spent it all last season ? Or that Smith performed even BETTER than expected given they reinvested that 9 million ?

What has he actually done apart from beating Celtic? If we are totally honest with the budget Rangers have we should be well clear of all other teams apart from Celtic.

Our performances have been absolutely atrocious apart from one good half against Celtic. We got fucked against a German amateur team ffs. I know pre-season is no judge.:facepalm: We got put out of Europe 10mill down the drain against teams we should have been walking over. He brought the team into training 3 weeks before probably the most important game of the season, to play a team who were already in mid-season. He said his tactic's were to give the other team the ball. He must have picked that one out of the Irish coaching manual. Against Barcelona you know they are going to have most of the ball but against Inverness:wtf:

No sorry, but I am not too impressed up until now. If we keep playing as we now are, how long is that 4 point lead going to last.

I still live in hope though.

Seriously pete ? Not to point out the obvious... but we ARE well clear of all teams, INCLUDING Celtic (Ok, not WELL clear but still clear by more than a game...). But certainly well clear of everyone else. Agreed ?

What has he done aside beating Celtic ? We are top of the league, not sure if you noticed that. Reasonable enough, no ?

German amateur team.... pre-season. Not competitive, no big deal. We will agree to disagree there.

Given, as you say, our performances have been atrocious other than one good half against Celtic then surely things cant get much worse.... yet we are 4 points ahead....so that 4 point lead still stands a pretty good chance of remaining for a while yet.